View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226
Default Live bait for trout..do you consider this sporting?

Just to let you know where i stand, I use my live well for storage. I find using artificial lures far more satisfying in the pursuit of trout than the use of live bait...including dead shrimp on a grub tail.
It seems down here out of VB more than half the fishermen use live bait to fish the wells and platforms. I just don't see the sport in taking a live shrimp or croaker and dangling this in front of a trout. They gonna eat it no matter what the conditions are. I've found in the last coupla years that the live bait movement has moved to the reefs big time. I stopped fishing the rigs because of the proliferation of live bait fishermen; hard to compete next to a boat fishing LB when you're throwing plastic...I just move on to other areas.

I sound like I'm complaining but I have no problem with anyone who chooses to LB fish. I guess w/ the price of fuel and expenses involved with trout fishing that some guys want to stack the odds in their favor the bring home some meat. I've noticed even on BL that some of the guides use live shrimp for their sports, is this the only way you can catch fish at certain times on BL or is this just to hurry and fill a limit?

Should LB be allowed in trout fishing tournaments or artificial only?

Like to hear your thoughts..

Last edited by Reefman; 04-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.