View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Flounder

Cash: 899

Wt: While bream fishing with a 4/5 wt rod/line with small arbor reel, I've landed as large as a 2.5 to 3lbs bass. It wasn't exactly "secure," but it worked.

Style: Unless you are looking for a rod that is going to work well for streams, go with a full 9ft rod. 8/9 wt would be just right. Getting one made for salt water will assure you have enough backbone to hoss out a big bass and keep from any rod breaking while fighting a red.

Reel: For bream, bass, etc...the reel is mostly just a line control system. I never "fight the fish" on the reel. You just strip line. However, big bass, heavier cover, redfish, etc....You would be fishing in a way that you would want a reel that has a drag system that you can set. Whether you get a heavier medium arbor reel or a lighter large arbor reel is up to you.

Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) has good stuff. I use St. Croix. Orvis is well priced (entry at least) and has salt stuff. I buy used...but i feel like fly fishing more than conventional fishing...the rod quality is of HIGH importance!

Hope this helps! PM if I can be of further help