View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 02:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
i dont believe that banning lead shot is the reason the price of duck hunting has gone up..
Maybe not for the average joe in LA, but I remember when I wanted to get legal to hunt some resident Canada geese and also any in season ducks that flew by a few years back on land I was farming in Ohio. I already had access to the land (farming it), a resident hunting license, and a 12 gauge (squirrel, deer, doves, coyote), along with ready access to a variety of lead shot sizes and chokes. I checked the regs and needed to buy steel shot and a duck stamp. Kinda pricey. After my first attempt, I quickly realized that steel shot stinks and forked over the dough for some bismuth or hevi-shot or something that actually put a few birds in the freezer. I think my son is finally putting those steel shot shells to use on his science project this year. But yeah, the lead shot ban and the duck stamp significantly increased my cost of participation and also reduced performance.

The military's move to lead free ammunition will similarly cost taxpayer's more money and downgrade ammunition performance. Similarly, if lead free ammunition is forced upon hunters, the costs will go up and performance will go down. Ditto of lead free sinkers and tackle are forced upon anglers.