View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065
Default Bunch of ducks in Southern Lafayette Parish

This afternoon I was checking on a roadway project off of XXXX Road in Lafayette Parish. There was mostly sugarcane on the North side of the road and sparse housing on the South. Well, I start needing to pull over to the side of the road to check some centerline and there is a farm road on the North side of the road. I get out of the truck and go to walk around the front of the truck and suddenly a cut full of water into sight. The levees were so high you couldn't see it from the road. When I saw the water immediately I flushed a flock of 50 teal. They peel off and come right back to land in front of me about 20 yards. Past them are 4 Mallards! Yes, 2 drakes and 2 hens. And the drakes are easily discernible. To the right of the Mallards are 4 Mottled ducks.......There were probably 100-150 ducks that I could see on this piece. It had depth too, it extended further to the North than I could see. Could've been many more ducks.

I am still in awe. It was a really cool sight to see especially in Lafayette Parish. So little habitat too, like I said, mostly sugarcane with a cut or two full of water. The water cut looked like smoothed/grated bottom with about 6" of water. You would expect this scene to take place in Cameron or Vermilion Parish for sure, but not Lafayette.

Think Im gonna go grab those plats tomorrow and see who owns this piece.

Hope everyone has Waterfowl dreams! Is it November yet?