View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 04:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Well said Matt. A great way to learn to really shoot, handle, and be safe with your weapon is USPSA competiton. Thats a great way to go from being able to shoot to knowing how to shoot. I used to shoot matches in Orange Texas. Its a nice club and not a bad drive for those around the LC area. Its a great way to burn lots of ammo and learn how to really shoot your gun. More experienced guys are always willing to give pointers to less experienced shooters.. 2 ALPHA
When I was an NRA Certified instructor for Basic Pistol and Personal Protection, I really liked the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.

See: http://mqp.nra.org/#

My brother, an NRA Training Counselor, really likes it too.

These programs can be used productively under the guidance of an instructor or they can be self-administered making use of written and video training materials.

I remember spending one year a while back working my way up to the expert level in the pistol program. Since I lived on rural property with an informal range in the back yard, I could shoot several times a week. The organization of the program provided structure and goals to my practice that produced real results without the extra fiddling involved with a formal range or expensive instructors.

I've probably taken about five formal training courses since I bought my first pistol in the late 1990s, but most of my real shooting improvement came shooting hundreds of rounds (maybe thousands) over that year working my way through the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. I believe this is a great approach for those without convenient access to competition or other more formal training options.