View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will"E"Fish View Post
My personal experience with making personal choice leadhead's brought me to the first thing of importance: can I purchase the quality hook of choice @ a wholesale price and not have to purchase a gross amount of one size hook's. I've come to the conclusion that it's really not worth it to doit unless u spend the time to do large quanity's. Don't let me deter your idea of personal experience.I had to learn from experience; so good luck and good fishn.
well I would agree if I were going to be doing small quantities using several different hooks but that's not what im looking to do, im keeping it very specific to two jig weights using the same hooks for both.

if im just going to be making the same things I could go buy at the stores it wouldn't be worth it at all but since there are no 1/8 oz jig heads for sale with 2/0 hooks in the stores and buying "specialty" jig heads stores sell or buying them from someone else who makes them will cost a lot more then it would to make my own so that's where I am at with it.

the 1/4 oz ones aren't the issue because those can easily be found in most stores for .35-.40 cents each so yes there is no real savings to be found for making these myself unless I am already set up to pour my own jigs.

the biggest complaint I have in store bought jigs, besides hook sizes, is the barbs are never made well and are often nothing more then smooth lumps that do little to hold plastic bodies onto the jig head.

all this being said im going to do careful cost assessments of what it will take and cost to do my own before I start buying things but I am pretty sure I will find it will be pretty cost effective for what I intend to do because if I do it I do plan to buy the hooks in bulk quantities because I will only be using one type, style, and size, hook for both jig sizes.