View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 694
Default Seeking truck advice 2 or 4wd

I never thought I would be asking, but here we go! LOL

Mid-50s, a few trucks, mostly 4wd 4runners and such. Thinking about getting a new extended or crew cab full size truck for the first time in 30yrs. My last 2004 4runner 4x4 did a major brake master cyl meltdown in August last year, so I dumped it with over 200k miles. I quickly bought a mint low mileage 2wd 2007 4runner to replace it.

I pull a 19ft midsize heavy gauge alum boat to most of the common improved landings. My 2wd 4runner never has spin problems, fairly heavy tongue weights helps. Pic of boat attached, now has brand new alum trailer with long tongue.

Also have kayaks, many trips to BigLake during summers. Getting tired of cartopping yaks at my age.

Also have midsize ATV, many trips to lease in west Alabama. Occasional trailering is getting old too, more chance for breakdowns, etc. Rather haul in truck. 600mi interstate round trip, many times during season. I can hunt the large lease, keep atv in truck to use when needed, usually leave it at camp during season anyway.

Seeing less and less need for 4wd with all this stuff. Not interested or need to take truck offroad anymore, break stuff, etc. I mostly hunt/fish alone too.

I could get interested in a nice 4dr 2014 GM 5.3L truck, about $26k or so, they are running specials now. I love the road quietness and roomy comfort of these new trucks.

So all that being said, any comments/regrets/etc? 2wd spinouts/traction problems at landings is what I'm most concerned about. Pls save the "I just wanna look good" 4wd comments, I'm wayyy past that and looking forward to saving money for retirement... LOL We're talking 100% practical here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1724.jpg (96.5 KB, 358 views)