View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

The car was originally a 6 cylinder car. The rear differential that was on the car would not be able to handle the additional power we where adding so I decided to add a 8.8 Rear out of a Ford Explorer. Corey had located one at the very beginning of the project and the original plan was to use the motor, fuel injection, electronics and rear differintial. Since we decided to change directions on the motor everything else was sold off except the rear diff. To use it on the Mustang all of the mounting brackets and other stuff had to be removed. Due to the wide tires and the differnce in the width of the car from an Explorer the diff would have to be narrowed. The cool thing about a Explorer differential is that it the gear housing is not centered. It is 3'' offset. It just so happens that we needed to be narrowed 3''. This allows to remove the tube from the long side cut off 3'' and use a short axel on the narrowed side. Corey pulled the axel apart and removed the long tube. No small feat. The tube has now been shortened and will be installed and welded back up. Lets just say Corey is using some creative means to do this. Whatever works.

Once it's all back together and the 4 link brackets are installed the rear diff will go off for powder coating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear diff 1.jpg (66.9 KB, 576 views)