View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellman View Post
I fished out a custom built for 22 years then i started having bad corrosion problems with it where it would get blisters and then you could punch holes through it with an ice pick. no aluminum boat made for lifetime.Some builders do great jobs building them such as american alum. and others like Gravois and Hanko.
very true, if they don't start with a premium grade aluminum it can greatly shorten the lifespan of any boat.

as to paint there are two trains of thought, paint protects against corrosion but if it gets behind the paint it makes corrosion worse and harder to see, harder to get to, and harder to clean up and treat.

the other is an unpainted boat self cleans and any corrosion is minor and easy to spot and treat before it gets bad.

having seen both, I agree with having an unpainted bare aluminum bottom hull is best and if you want color do side graffics only weather its by using decals or have it painted on. as to the interior I would get any custom built boat sprayed with bed liner for looks, traction, long lasting, and sound dampening