Thread: satsuma tree
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I've been having 2 orange trees for 4 years now that have made a combined total of 3 oranges. My son just ran one over with the 4 wheeler Saturday. It's not a broom stick, but, I may have some oranges next year!
I have not had much luck growing oranges on my tree.

My first major problem is my soil is very little "top soil" with thick clay only a few inches down.

Back 15+ years ago, I dug fairly big holes and mixed in some top soil / mulch to improve the dirt.

After 4 or 5 years the little orange tree had not grown much at all and maybe produce 2 -4 fruit. I left it alone for a few more years, still with almost no plant growth.

In a desperate attempt to grow oranges, I dug up the little tree [Less than 4' tall] and planted it near a ditch where the soil was better and more water. The plant grew well there and is now an 8+ foot tall tree..... but still does not produce much fruit. About 4 years ago I got ~ 50 oranges, but all other years I only get ~ 15-20 oranges. The tree will be covered in hundreds of flowers but only a few make fruit.

I am not sure, but suspect a lack of "Honey Bees" to pollinate the flowers could be the problem.