View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 01:08 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
it just seams they have no chance to get away since you could almost literally walk across the water on the crab trap floats they have so many out there. where I crab there are no less then 100 traps all around me and I have to watch so I don't run over floats as I try to crab, and that's in a 40 ft wide canal only about 2 miles long.
You may be right- that's part of what we're trying to determine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
where can we go to get more info and maybe join up to be part of the tagging?
We're working on a website for the project at http://www.nicholls.edu/blue-crabs/. We're still adding information, so should have more content soon. We are also working on a map for the website that will show locations where crabs were initially tagged and where they were recaptured (for tagged crabs that have been caught), but this is taking a bit longer than expected- we've been focusing on getting crabs tagged so have slowed down the work on the website.

If you're interested in helping with the tagging, there's an email address to contact us on the website. Right now, we are mostly working with commercial crabbers to tag the crabs, but we are always looking for additional people to help out, especially in areas where we aren't currently tagging.