View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by NichollsCrabTags View Post
You may be right- that's part of what we're trying to determine.

We're working on a website for the project at http://www.nicholls.edu/blue-crabs/. We're still adding information, so should have more content soon. We are also working on a map for the website that will show locations where crabs were initially tagged and where they were recaptured (for tagged crabs that have been caught), but this is taking a bit longer than expected- we've been focusing on getting crabs tagged so have slowed down the work on the website.

If you're interested in helping with the tagging, there's an email address to contact us on the website. Right now, we are mostly working with commercial crabbers to tag the crabs, but we are always looking for additional people to help out, especially in areas where we aren't currently tagging.
great, I think it would be even more important or at least very important, to get the word out first before too much tagging is done so tags are not wasted and the public gets the word about this and what to do if they find one.

it would be ashamed for tags to be discarded simply from people not knowing what to do or what it means since I am presuming most tagging efforts get a small percentage of reported catches anyway.

I know this is all new and your just getting started but a top priority I think should be to contact paul masson and other outdoors reporters to get articles published informing the public?