View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
I was thinking, not only is left behind crab string unsightly, but it's also a hazard for wildlife and birds. Much like many areas have river clean up days, I might approach some local kayak and fishing clubs to host an annual "string thing" doing string cleanup at our refuges. Most people don't realize that public recreational access isn't the primary mission of the refuges and by and large it's not required. Misuse can lead to loss of privilege. I'm not sure if it's still this way, but for a time Sabine had banned cast netting from their docks and wharfs because people were leaving behind all of their by-catch. It would be a shame to see any more restrictions just because of user neglect.

That is still there rule.

Just before the change, the refuge shrimping was shutdown because of the mess / trash people were leaving at the wharfs. I had stopped by Hog Island Gully and another spot a week after the shrimp season had opened that year. Wow.... it was really filthy. Dead bait fish everywhere on the docks and lots to trash. It did not surprise at all that shrimping was shutdown for a few weeks to get the place cleaned up.

I think it was the year before that.... the Rock closed the shrimping season for the same reason.