SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Venice inshore

After yesterdays scouting trip we loaded up this morning and headed down river. Bear in mind we were on an offshore catamaran so I supplied it with 5 rod and reel setups, hooks, sinkers, landing nets, dehooker, and anchor setup. The North winds were blowing as forecasted and it was cool. As the day progressed it got colder. Today was an adventure to say the least. The water looked better at the first place we scouted yesterday. We anchored up and began fishing. We had white trout, and specks but nothing steady for the good fish. The ladyfish, Jack cravelle, small croaker and hardhead catfish were thick.

Before leaving there the same guy hooks up to a very large fish that he fought for a very long time before loosing it. I venture to say it was a large redfish by the way it was fighting. We moved to the spot we found to be good yesterday and there were 3 other inshore captains there already. Between the 3 of them they only had 1 redfish. We tried anyway and did nothing. I wanted to go back to the place we just left but the captain insisted on going to the wing dams at the mouth of the Mississippi. He picked a place to anchor and I told him there was a lot of pipes and other lines in that place. He insisted, we anchored up, caught hardheads, and gafftops and when we went to leave we had to donate the anchor. Without an anchor we had to call it and head in. On the way back he takes a short cut instead of running the river and on the way up the pass we were not paying attention and he drifts the boat just a few feet off the channel and we are grounded. Second mistake of the day and it is still early in the day. While waiting for someone to come by one of the guys gets bored and casts a line out into the water. The pole bends, the drag runs and after a brief fight this baby comes on board for a photo opp before joining the trout we have in the box.

This got things active on the boat and we had a great time waiting for someone to pull us off. We were so shallow that when I released this sting ray it's face got stuck in the mud and the tail was flapping above the water for a second or two.

Before we got pulled off the mud flat we had found some nice reds, pair of sheeps head and even a flounder.

Once back at the houseboat we took time out for brunch and some warmth. I put together another anchor set up and went over all the fishing poles setting them up with the proper weights and hooks. Early in the afternoon we headed back out minus 3 guys that decided to remain in the house boat and watch college football.

We went to our first place we were at this morning. A few small fish and another flounder. We move to another place. This place was blocked up with another boat and we did not even stop. We turned around and headed straight to our newly found mud flat. We added some more redfish and threw back many shorts. We also lost a few flounder near the boat and I landed a speck to add to the box.

One of the guys hooks into something big. This fish is spooling him and we have to pick up the anchor and follow it. It is fighting like a big redfish. After loosing one this morning I am hoping the angler does not make a mistake or the tackle fails. This hog is doing what ever it so desires. After a beautifull fight I get the net under this monster and it is safely tucked away.

We took some pictures and released this one to breed and fight again. It only took about 3-5 minutes to get this guy healthy and running off down the pass. Mr redfish thank you for visiting us. Hopefully you can give another boat load of people the pleasure you gave us today.

Around 4 we decided to head in for a fish cleaning party and some warmth. It was another adventure in Venice with a lot of catching and some more tales to tell.

We ended up with 9 redfish, plus the big one we released, 5 specks, 4 sheeps head, 4 white trout, and 2 flounnder. Yes the small redfish is legal. I measured it on the boat and again at the dock. Another guy came by with a tape measure and it was 16 & 1/2 overall.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM