SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Redfish

Cash: 969
Default Inflatable Kayak

Is an inflatable kayak something I should consider for fishing the jetties between Holly and Little Florida? If that's not a completely insane idea, do any of you have any recommendations on a brand I should get? Don't hesitiate to say that this is an insane idea. If you've read any of my infinite questions, you'll know I'm learning as I go. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

well I consider ANYTHING inflatable as not a great idea for fishing, pool fun, tubing, river rafting, ok but not for fishing where venture out great distances, fish have teeth, oyster shells are very sharp, and most times you are way too far away to try to swim back and you cant walk the marshes without sinking to your waste deep.

if you want to do a kayak then do a kayak but skip the inflatables for toys to have fun with when you aren't around sharp objects.

yes they are tough and can take abuse but it only takes one leak so see the folly in it.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 942

Some are built better than others....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pirate ship.jpg (34.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 512
Default Inflatable Kayak

Not sure about the area you are asking about (lurker from the Northwest). I have an advance element angler edition purchased off of amazon. It is good quality and fishes well.

There are different grades of inflatables ranging from toy grade to 3-5 thousand dollar expedition models. Folks have a misperception based on the toy grade stuff they have experienced. Look at it this way- white water rafts are inflatable and last years running rocky bottomed rivers.

Pay attention to the valves- mine has Boston valves, which are nice for inflating.

Good luck on your search.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,384

Bad idea. Just find you a good Sit On Top kayak.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:03 PM
Redfish

Cash: 969

Alright, so if the general consensus is that an inflatable isn't the best idea, what about a collapsible one that wouldn't take up much space, but still be decent quality?
Old 09-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
Alright, so if the general consensus is that an inflatable isn't the best idea, what about a collapsible one that wouldn't take up much space, but still be decent quality?
well my thought is this thing also needs to be your life raft "just in case" so get a kayak carrier to put on the roof of your car and just use a regular kayak.

they are a lot easier and quicker to use then unpacking and inflating and then deflating then repacking up an inflatable one plus a regular kayak will be much more stable then inflatables and a hell of a lot more comfortable and safer with so much more storage and convertible for mounting fishing accessories to.

they aren't that expensive and are fairly light for even a small person to handle by themselves very easily

just my 2 cents
Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
Is an inflatable kayak something I should consider for fishing the jetties between Holly and Little Florida? If that's not a completely insane idea, do any of you have any recommendations on a brand I should get? Don't hesitiate to say that this is an insane idea. If you've read any of my infinite questions, you'll know I'm learning as I go. Thanks for any help.

I think it is somewhat insane given the fact that you will be fishing a rocky area. Not many areas around here, aside from ponds, would be ideal for an inflatable kayak for joy rides much less fishing.

The thought of an inflatable kayak is great due to collapsibility, but it's nothing but a pain in the butt. When I was working in WA I had a coworker that did freelance writing and testing of new products for REI. Inflatable kayaks would come across the board and they were great to piddle around in, but good lord they sucked to inflate and take down. Once or twice a year, no problem - why not just rent then though?

These things are like workout DVD's, you'll be pumped during the decision process and the first few workouts, but it won't bring anything less than guilt for sitting in the closet for the rest of your relationship with it.