SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,525
Default Duck/Goose Decoys

I'm looking to upgrade my spread and cull some of the older decoys and replace with new ones. If anyone knows of any sales on decoys from any where please post here.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Check out rogerssportinggoods.com. They usually have awesome deals. No tax and usually free shipping
Old 01-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Gander mountain.com had the best prices about 3 wks ago when I ordered all mine. That was on ghg decoys. Rogers had the best mojo prices
Old 01-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
Check out rogerssportinggoods.com. They usually have awesome deals. No tax and usually free shipping

x2 on that. Ive never actually ordered anything from there but they do have very good prices.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Check out Simmons Sporting Goods in Bastrop when they have their big tent sale...
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

We just ordered another 3 dozen from Mack's because they had mallards and bw on sale. I know I bought their last pack of bw but the might still have some mallards. You better stock up because you gonna have some competition next year!!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

Check on Craigs List, used to look on there in the Amarillo area, and Lubbock, Dallas, and OKC, always seen some great deals, and high quality Deqs too.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunforeman View Post
We just ordered another 3 dozen from Mack's because they had mallards and bw on sale. I know I bought their last pack of bw but the might still have some mallards. You better stock up because you gonna have some competition next year!!
LOL. Im trying!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 985

Doug, just get Kevin's lazy butt to buy you some! Have you heard anything regarding the Pool for this year?

Last edited by RODBENDER; 01-27-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add more info.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODBENDER View Post
Doug, just get Kevin's lazy butt to buy you some! Have you heard anything regarding the Pool for this year?
I haven't heard anything fromt he pool. I would imagine with all the rain that has been falling that the refuge management team has been scrambling to prevent any accumulation of water in the pool. I never have been able to get an explaination of why, in a marsh where all of the aquatic vegetation either grows to the surface or above the surface of the water, you must "lower" the water level "for the ducks". I did get a guy that told me "well they need mud flats to rest on" to which I responded-"aren't they saying that there isn't enough open water and they want to burn it so there won't be so much floating turf and mudflats and make more open water". I think the fact is that they don't want the fishery to be very good as this will result in less public use and reduce the amount of time they have to spend "babysitting" the place.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunsorc View Post
i haven't heard anything fromt he pool. I would imagine with all the rain that has been falling that the refuge management team has been scrambling to prevent any accumulation of water in the pool. I never have been able to get an explaination of why, in a marsh where all of the aquatic vegetation either grows to the surface or above the surface of the water, you must "lower" the water level "for the ducks". I did get a guy that told me "well they need mud flats to rest on" to which i responded-"aren't they saying that there isn't enough open water and they want to burn it so there won't be so much floating turf and mudflats and make more open water". I think the fact is that they don't want the fishery to be very good as this will result in less public use and reduce the amount of time they have to spend "babysitting" the place.

x2 pretty much sums it up imo
Old 01-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

If its lacassine your talkin about then i agree, wish they would kee the water right, put a 5 fish limit along with a slot limit then charge for yearly permits. Id pay 100 a year to fish it if they managed it better.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Yeah i know but cant a man have dreams, just think how sweet thatd be.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly d View Post
wish the could but they cant. They get tax money from all over the us and 50 million people dont know nothing about it. Let the right people find out about and you can kiss the fishing good-bye forever, it will be used as it was built for (bird sanctuary) bottom line so enjoy why we can guys

they not gonna stop the fishing in there for sure, cause the tax payers money pays for it and they know if they stop fishing in there or sabine all hell will break lose.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
please dont think that. This is a national wildlife refuge and they can do what they want to. It is federal funding not state funding

like shawn said a man can dream. I remember that place when ron castel was stocking it the fish we used to catch in there, and i'm sure you remember that too. It will never be like that again.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
oh i go alot futher back than that. I would like to know how many big ol bream i pulled out of that place. Had the ol plastic fish stringers and couldnt put another one on there. I have a 6lb2oz bass mounted that i caught out of there in 1975 and back then that was like a 12lb fish now

you absolutely right my dad has atleast 8 fish mounted from there from the 70's that are like 5 pounds and he told me that was a big fish in ther back then. My dad has many old pictures from out there and that place will never look like that again, and the stories he has from out there are unreal. Him and my uncle would stack boats at a landing that some lady had on the bell city drain ditch i can't think of her name would rent with 9.8 mercurys and she wouldn't charge them. Also they would have millers house of sports order them black lizards with white dots on them, cause they would wax they *** on them. I can go on forever about his stories i love hearing them.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
Wish the could but they cant. They get tax money from all over the US and 50 million people dont know nothing about it. Let the right people find out about and you can kiss the fishing good-bye forever, it will be used as it was built for (bird sanctuary) bottom line so enjoy why we can guys
The original stocking of Florida strain largemouth bass took place in 1985 and was paid for by federal funds. These same federal funds are what paid for the "old" boat ramp(1985ish) and also the "new" boat ramps(previous access was through the rollers located on the bell city ditch and the lacassine bayou perimeter levees). These improvements were and have been made to promote the use of the refuge as a fishery. The stockings done by Castille were part of an agreement he had to show that the fisherman were "giving back" to the fishery. So, don't for one second, think that the "Sole" purpose of this impoundment is for ducks...Thats the EXCUSE they use for doing W T F they want to do. If you don't believe me- go back and do a little research on where the funding for the ramps and the original florida strain stocking came from.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
Go way back and see what funds built the refuge and thats where it starts. I would love for it to stay open forever. I am not trying to start a argument but they can do what they want when the want. They are just trying to help the local people and jobs around here
I understand that the original purpose for the refuge was for waterfowl.

However, in 1985 the mission statement for the refuge was changed to include the purpose for use as a fishery.

And regardless; when they start spending TAX PAYERS money on creating, improving, stocking, etc. for a fishery then they don't get to blow smoke up my a$$ about it being "strickly for waterfowl"!!! And until everyone quits swallowing this line of BS that the management is presenting to all of us "uneducated coonasses" (this is what the management thinks we are) and holds someone accountable for not sticking to the Comprehensive Conservation Plan that they released a few years ago (which by the way includes managing the pool for fishing) then the management of the refuge will continue to mismanage the pool and do whatever they feel like doing. And everyone says they want to do something-- but when they were having those public comment meetings during the formulation period for the CCP the same 30-35 of us showed up for each meeting-All that showed them was that Not enough people were interested in what they were doing for them to give a rip!!!

Last edited by cajunsorc; 01-27-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: correct spelling