SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Redfish

Cash: 836
Default Building a house!!! contractors wanted!!

Started getting bids on my house plans. Im looking for honest and dependable contractors. If you know of any please let me know. Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Brandon Fredrick - 337-356-9411
Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Redfish

Is he in lake Charles. I should have specified where I am building.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

I know a guy that's lisenced in tx would he have to be licensed in la also if not he is great and dependable
Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Need to hit Erick up for some names. Jose Martinez- 540-0309 Frame,brick, sheetrock, paint ect.
Shot Portray- 304-1946 dirt work
Kendrick Lorman - 526-5750- dirt work
Scott- 802-4892- plumbing and septic
Leon Fast- 436-7097- house plans
David Remarz-513-2369- Turn key or get bids on each job
Dan Felice-661-9467- a/c
As I get more I will pass them on but these are good guys we use or have used and I am building so if you get some good guys please pass them back.
Jason
Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

I got 2 bids here in the baton rouge area and the cheapest was $95 a foot. I am currently waiting on a contact that I heard about for the 3rd. He is pretty much a coridnater with a lot of contacts and he charges $1 a foot to contract it out for you. He is building a house for one of my father n laws co workers right now and said he is about 80% complete and so far no complaints.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Sailfish

Turn key will run you more money but if you have time to deal with subs you can save a good bit. I work with a few guys that built in past yr for around $80 a foot by subing.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Redfish

Thanks guys for the info. @ Jason, where are u building. I'd like to swing by and take a look at it. Maybe give me some ideas.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 751

Glad I ran across this. I will be looking for subs towards the end of the year to start building a place in Hackberry.

I did the GC work on my house in galveston and saved about 50k. Hope to do it again with the place in Hackberry.

Does anyone know the going rate per ft for framing?

Thanks

Thomas
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
I got 2 bids here in the baton rouge area and the cheapest was $95 a foot. I am currently waiting on a contact that I heard about for the 3rd. He is pretty much a coridnater with a lot of contacts and he charges $1 a foot to contract it out for you. He is building a house for one of my father n laws co workers right now and said he is about 80% complete and so far no complaints.
1$/sqft??? And he's a liscenced contractor?? I don't think a crack head work work for that cheap! 3500 sqft home with a contractor on the job everyday for 5 months for 3500.00??? Something ain't right
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Blue Marlin

[QUOTE=Texxan1;442295]Glad I ran across this. I will be looking for subs towards the end of the year to start building a place in Hackberry.

I did the GC work on my house in galveston and saved about 50k. Hope to do it again with the place in Hackberry.

Thanks

Thomas[/QUOTE

White boys-$6.00-9.00/ sqft total area
Mexicans-$3.50-5.00/sqft total area
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
1$/sqft??? And he's a liscenced contractor?? I don't think a crack head work work for that cheap! 3500 sqft home with a contractor on the job everyday for 5 months for 3500.00??? Something ain't right
Don't know dude. Just what I heard. Guy said that he got a construction loan to contract it his self and hired this guy to coordinate it all for him. Said that he saved over 20 grand by doing it this way on a 3000 sqft house.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Sailfish

I am trying to finnish plans up right now and have house pad going down this week but soon as I began getting bids I will be glad to share what I can.

Corey I am building toward end of Ericks road and hope to began next month but if you want to see my plan I will show you.

I asked a guy that just built a house what he paid for framer and it was $5-$6 a square and he built a big cut up house in lake charles using the guy that did my last house.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by big flounder View Post
don't know dude. Just what i heard. Guy said that he got a construction loan to contract it his self and hired this guy to coordinate it all for him. Said that he saved over 20 grand by doing it this way on a 3000 sqft house.
all i know if this guy dosnt have a lisence (which with those prices i dont see how he can with having to pay insurance , workers comp, ect) he is running and illegal opperation. It is 1/2 arse cutthroat guys that dont run a legitimate opperation that give good, honest, lisenced contractors like myself a bad name!!! Good luck dude ! If i find out who it is im gonna report his arse to the state board of contractors! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

[quote=fishinpox;442303]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxan1 View Post
Glad I ran across this. I will be looking for subs towards the end of the year to start building a place in Hackberry.

Thanks

Thomas[/QUOTE

White boys-$6.00-9.00/ sqft total area
Mexicans-$3.50-5.00/sqft total area
$1 per sq. ft.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
all i know if this guy dosnt have a lisence (which with those prices i dont see how he can with having to pay insurance , workers comp, ect) he is running and illegal opperation. It is 1/2 arse cutthroat guys that dont run a legitimate opperation that give good, honest, lisenced contractors like myself a bad name!!! Good luck dude ! If i find out who it is im gonna report his arse to the state board of contractors! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!!!!!!
What is the differance in me hiring contractors or him? I'm not licensed or insured. You don't have to tell me you get what you pay for cause I live in a DR Horton house now! I will never do that again. I have never built a house before. All we did with DR Horton was pick out appliances and colors but that was what the boss (wife) wanted at that time. Now we have land and ready to build what we want. If what that guy is doing is illegal then I want nothing to do with him so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
What is the differance in me hiring contractors or him? I'm not licensed or insured. You don't have to tell me you get what you pay for cause I live in a DR Horton house now! I will never do that again. I have never built a house before. All we did with DR Horton was pick out appliances and colors but that was what the boss (wife) wanted at that time. Now we have land and ready to build what we want. If what that guy is doing is illegal then I want nothing to do with him so any advice is greatly appreciated.

More than likely he's just consulting you. He's not going to be the general contractor, you are. He's just there to give you advice.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
More than likely he's just consulting you. He's not going to be the general contractor, you are. He's just there to give you advice.
That's what I'm thinking too. I haven't talked to the guy yet. He was given my # and is supposed to call me this week.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Redfish

I have the house plans done. House pad is done but might have to add a little to it, will see. Right now I'm just getting my plans out to several contractors to get bids on it. We are picking out everything to have it blacked in and so far it's been pretty easy. The wife is being a good sport lol. We are starting the loan process and that is fun just filling that thing out. I'm gonna do the electrical, painting and some flooring. Hoping to save about 20k or more. I'm asking friends who just built alot of questions and I'm documenting everything. We have even gone so far as to taking pics of same house to show brick layers how we want it. I can't sleep now cause all I think of is how I'm gonna do this and how I'm gonna do that. But the lord is gonna show me the right path. Thanks guys for the help. Keep it coming.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post

there is a fine line with the legality of hiring a "consultant" that supplies the subs. i own 2 construction companies, 1 im a lisenced GC custom home builder, 2 i own a framing/ interior trim business. with my framing/trim business i get to see first hand homeowners who pull their own permits n sub the job out therseklves or with a "consultant" the jobs SUCK! biggest culster ever. look at it this way what does a UNINSURED, UN LISCENCED , "conslutant" who charges roughly 1% have to loose if you job gets screwed up??? because you are putting the biggest investment you will make in the hands of a guy who suposedly knows how to build a house but only charges 1% when he could get insurance/lisence and charge a min of 10%??? something aint right . i only hire subs for my jobs that 1)dont live check to check, 2) insured, 3) reliable, 4) drug free. when you hire the huy who dont have a pot to piss in what like of recourse do you have if something goes wrong?? gonna sue him for his 1990 ford ranger?? or when he causes me ( the builder) or in your case the homeowner to getr a OSHA fine for 30,000.00( and yes it happens in res. construction now) whos gonna pay that??? YOU ARE not the jackleg fly by night consultant, and good luck sueing him for it cuz charging 1% ....i bet he dont have it!. thats why i hire subs that have something to loose , they seem to take more pride in the job .