SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460
Default Refuge fuding cuts...

A reason why lacassine and Sabine are the way they are. Enjoy your refuges while you can folks. Likely won't be hunting them a lot longer. Thanks Obama.

"... Sandy struck as the Obama administration and Congress prepared to lock horns over the year-end “fiscal cliff,” which includes plans to cut the Interior Department’s budget for refuges by 10 percent, according to a report being released Monday by the Cooperative Alliance for Refuge Enhancement (CARE), a coalition of groups from the National Rifle Association to Defenders of Wildlife.

In the report, CARE argues that the 150 million-acre National Wildlife Refuge System cannot absorb another cut. Its more than 550 refuges, with 700 species of birds, 200 species of fish and 200 species of mammals, get by on about $3.24 per acre.

The cuts would hurt the ability of refuges to respond to hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes and fires, which cost nearly $700 million between 2005 and last year, the report said. Refuges would be forced to divert funding from programs that reduce trees, brush and assorted debris that help fires burn out of control.

Refuges also pay to control invasive species, such as pythons that are squeezing native animals out of the Everglades. Some of the refuges, which lure 45 million visitors and bring $4.2 billion to local economies, would probably close..."

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...02a_story.html

PDF: http://www.fundrefuges.org/CARE/CARE...Final_2012.pdf
Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Easy fix, open them up to gas and oil exploration so they can be self sustaining. Anyone with a 5th grade edjumacation could figur that one out. State refuges will be next, medicaid funding is going to take up more and more of states budgets until the system collapses. Just wait on it.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Easy fix, open them up to gas and oil exploration
That is funny. The antis would file an injuction so fast it would make our heads spin. Will never happen. Alaska is your prime example.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Could you imagine a rig makin hole next to someone's favorite hunting spot. They would probably start a thread on here complaining
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
Could you imagine a rig makin hole next to someone's favorite hunting spot. They would probably start a thread on here complaining
I was thinking the same thing. There would be a lot more than the anti's crying, that's for sure.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

I'm not against it. I think it's a great idea. Anything to generate more revenue and as long as they are putting money into restoring the refuge, it's a win IMO. The biggest problem on our refuges now is the idiots who call themselves hunters
Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
I'm not against it. I think it's a great idea. Anything to generate more revenue and as long as they are putting money into restoring the refuge, it's a win IMO. The biggest problem on our refuges now is the idiots who call themselves hunters
X1000
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
That seems to be the biggest problem. Especially when you have to deal with them fools while trying to hunt. But the biggest problem is in the orginal post on this thread. We are going to lose them. They are going to close. Worrying about the face painting skybusters is going to be moot in the very near future! Best update dem golf clubs or shine up dem fishing reels.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
That seems to be the biggest problem. Especially when you have to deal with them fools while trying to hunt. But the biggest problem is in the orginal post on this thread. We are going to lose them. They are going to close. Worrying about the face painting skybusters is going to be moot in the very near future! Best update dem golf clubs or shine up dem fishing reels.
If they close em, ima do like Douglas and start poaching private land. I doubt I would be alone.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
If they close em, ima do like Douglas and start poaching private land. I doubt I would be alone.
Yes but somehow Douglas is too retarded to get caught. I, however, have the worst luck known to man. I guess we'll just have to buy some layout boats and about 1000 duck decoys and start laying out in the middle of big lake and pi$$ off all the fisherman for duck season.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
About a year ago, one of the WMA's that I Deer hunt on had a well drilled near one of the spots that I sometimes hunt. I scouted this spot last week and decided I would hunt there this past Friday.

When I got there, I could hear a noise comming from this site. It sounded like a big Diesel engine running. My spot is less than a 1/2 mile away. About every 20 to 30 minutes there was loud banging of some kind of equipment or stuff being dropped. I was not happy and thought about moving but there were lots of other hunter in the woods and I did not want to be walking around with them looking to shoot "something" that was moving in the woods. Noise finally stopped by 10 AM but I did not see any Deer that day.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
About a year ago, one of the WMA's that I Deer hunt on had a well drilled near one of the spots that I sometimes hunt. I scouted this spot last week and decided I would hunt there this past Friday.

When I got there, I could hear a noise comming from this site. It sounded like a big Diesel engine running. My spot is less than a 1/2 mile away. About every 20 to 30 minutes there was loud banging of some kind of equipment or stuff being dropped. I was not happy and thought about moving but there were lots of other hunter in the woods and I did not want to be walking around with them looking to shoot "something" that was moving in the woods. Noise finally stopped by 10 AM but I did not see any Deer that day.
Deer will get used to the sound... I killed a deer the other day less about 1/4 mile from a bunch of duck blinds that were blasting away
Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Deer will get used to the sound... I killed a deer the other day less about 1/4 mile from a bunch of duck blinds that were blasting away
That is why I stayed where I was.

But.......half of hunting is the nice quite time spent in the woods.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

I was deer hunting on Laccasine one year. They were working on a well only about 100 yards from me. I was in the stand when they got there. Almost got down. Then decided to stay hoping they would not work long. Well to my surprise. 3 deer walked by while they were making all kinds of noise. I think the deer just get use to all the noise very quick.

I have a lease now that's close to a big gas plant. The deer do not even look when alarms go off.