SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:58 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391
Default Confusioned

Tried to install a Directv satellite for my daughter today and, although I'm getting 97% reception, I can only get the satellite channels. It won't pick up any local channels at all. Man, this thing is pressin on my last nerve!!!

Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,127

The new dtv system uses 4 satellites to send signal. Might not be getting sync on all the satellites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2016, 05:45 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,225

Did you buy the local channels? Usually it's an extra package or it was at one point. Also make sure you are in an area that gets locals or they give you the major networks from another area. In other words it may not be something you are doing wrong.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:02 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

When I was working in Wyoming I took one of my DTV receivers with me in my camper. I got all of my normal programming but I did not get my local channels because of where I was physically located. Not sure why but that's how mine worked.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:55 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Did you buy the local channels? Usually it's an extra package or it was at one point. Also make sure you are in an area that gets locals or they give you the major networks from another area. In other words it may not be something you are doing wrong.

Casey, the receiver is one from my home, so, it should get locals. I put a dish there 5-6 years ago and when it crapped out...I bought a new one. It worked like a charm before. It's across the river in MS but that should not matter. I'm thinkin it's a matter of tweaking the dish to the satellites, but, what do I know??
Old 03-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
When I was working in Wyoming I took one of my DTV receivers with me in my camper. I got all of my normal programming but I did not get my local channels because of where I was physically located. Not sure why but that's how mine worked.
You have to call and get them to "activate" the channels. Or I did anyway.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:41 PM
Great White

OK, does anyone here have an account with Directv including local channels and you use one of your receivers at a camp, relative/friend's house, etc. that is in a DIFFERENT ZIP CODE than the one linked to the account? If so, please post cause this could solve my problem.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2016, 05:55 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,351

I do with Dish though
Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Great White

I was told today that if the receiver is out of the account zip code, or, too far away from the account dish...local channels will not come in. That's what I'm tryin to find out.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:45 PM
Flounder

Cash: 734

Directv does do spot transmitting for lack of better words. I am subscribed to Lafayette locals so I get them here. But if I move the receiver too far from Lafayette then the dish won't be able to get the signal for Lafayette locals. I'm not sure how far that is though. I've gone as far as New Orleans and still picked up my locals.

As far as "account dish", I'm not sure what that refers to. I think you may be saying that the dish itself is assigned to the account. If so... You may have been told wrong. The dish isn't assigned to the account. The receiver and the card is. But if the receiver is outside of the transmitting area then it won't see the local signal on the dish that it is hooked to.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

we have direct tv at the deer camp in a different parish from the main box. Its probably only 40 or so miles away though
Old 03-18-2016, 03:32 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 656

This was my experience with DTV. Had DTV at home in Kaplan. When I bought the camp in Big Lake I had DTV installed upstairs. Used Kaplan address as the account address and received the LFT local channels with no problem. Couple of years later I installed another receiver downstairs and wanted to do the same. I was told they could not do that due to FCC regulations directing them to broadcast "local market stations" based on the zip where the account is registered and that they erred in allowing me local access on the first camp receiver. If I wanted to receive local channels at all on the second receiver it would be Lake Charles market channels not LFT but I would have to open a SECOND account at $75/month using the camp address. I suspected them of lying to me, researched it and found that is in fact correct. So our benevolent government dictates to them what and where they broadcast concerning local channels.

To DTV's credit, on one of my rampaging phone calls the representative whispered for me to hook up an old fashioned antenna and would be able to catch many broadcast channels in HDTV and not have to worry about a second account. Hell, I had forgotten about antennas! So, I did that and worked like a charm. FYI, I tried the $60 electronic looking ones from Best Buy and that didn't work. I have an old fashioned aluminum one installed now and catch about 20 broadcast channels. Including the LFT market. I now receive many channels I never knew were even broadcasting. I didn't know LPB broadcasts three channels. For those who like cooking shows you will love LPB3! and....all of this for free. Hope this helps
Old 03-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Flounder

Cash: 532

buy the little round antenna the one that looks like a ufo. Yes they are a little bit pricey but it beats buying $75 month account. I have one at my camp and it gets around 30 channels all local stuff. Its a one time payment!!