SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default cat food & long day

Yesterday was a beautifull day in the 70's. I started out arguing with a drunk at 9:30 am. I have not been that mad in years. The rest of the day I did things around the yard. I fixed my truck. Worked on the Glaicer bay (not finished). About an hour before sunset I told the wife I was going for some cat food. She knows the drill! I carry 2 inshore rods in the rod holders of the truck most of the time. I went around the corner and on the 4th cast I hook up with a 15 1/2 inch redfish. That would have been enough for my 2 cats but I don't break the rules. They get more than enough fresh fish and they are not starving as seen by the female (Sushi), That's her name, in the doorway.

I got a lot of short strikes and one solid hit took the tail off the plastic. Soon I had a good one on the line. I had to clime down the rocks to get my hands on this guy. As the sun was setting I headed home with my 25 inch trophy in the cooler.

After supper I filleted the fish and gave the 2 cats the scraps and the belly meat.

As I was going to dump the carcas the second cruise ship of the night went past the front yard.

Today I was going to go for wahoo. Seeing I did not get the GB finished I decided to go inshore with the Avenger bay boat. The winds were going to build and that was a big deterant. The wahoo have been spotty so far this season but they are now getting worth the trip. FYI the Mississippi has a lot of debris in it already from Empire down I was dodging some big logs. Today was to be on the east side. I launched in Buras. Once I crossed the river and got into Quarentene bay I was greeted with fog to the north. I ran south in the haze and the further south I went the dirtier the water got. About 5 miles down and I was in chocolate water so I reversed direction and headed north east. About 8 miles north of the pass we found some good water. On our second Island Buddy hooks up to a good one.

I put the power pole down and watched the show. It ran around the boat a few times and away from the boat twice before I could get a net under it.

After the picture Buddy decides this 33 incher is "TOO BIG" and lets it go. Nice gesture That was the biggest mistake of the day.

The rest of the day went down hill from there. The winds built up as forecasted and we could not find anything else around any of the other islands we fished. We stayed on that side untill about 11:30. I dropped buddy off at the launch to drive my truck up to Empire. I ran the boat up the river and through the locks, met up with Buddy and continued our dull, uneventfull day. We fished Bay Adams and some of the islands in the grand pass area. Nothing happening. We bounced around the empire canal, the s**t house canal, into bay pomme d'or, then the shrimp docks, the dead end canal and we finished off inside the boat harbor. Once there and fishing the entire bank down Buddy got another hit and lands this black drum.

This was only his second bite of the day. We flushed some reds throughout the day as we were drifting across some oyster beds when the boat almost hit them. The winds had the water stirred up and lock jaw on the fish. The red I filleted last night went to Buddy for his supper tonight. At least he got something out of today.

Useing shrimp, lures, and plastics I NEVER HAD A BITE all day. With fishing shut down like this I am glad I did not venture offshore today. Overall My fuel flow registered 56 miles and I burned 18 gallons even. Lot of places fished.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM