SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584
Default Teal hunt help

just posting on the off chance one of you guys would consider having me and the new pup on a teal hunt.
he will be five months and I would like to take advantage of warm weather, good chances for a kill and possibly rice blind to get him on a couple retrieves.

If any of you are up to it let me know when and where, I can make weekday hunts too.

I know I am asking quite a bit of a person, but I will gladly pick up some shells or lunch or adult beverages to help out.

I can't take him down to Venice just yet, that is a lot of stimulation for a young pup...........truck ride, boat ride, pirouge ride, no land to sit on.......and gators.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

I'll give you a call this evening i might be able to hook you up
Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Ling

Sounds good, thanks!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,007

5 months???? There is no way you have that dog obedience trained by 5 mos. No way should you be bringing a pup that young on a hunt without any training and if you do you certainly shouldn't be correcting him on anything because he don't know anything yet. This is a good way to teach him bad habits and or freak him out. He needs to be obedience trained and introduced to the gun before you start taking him in the field. You stand a chance to make him gun shy. He's just way too young to bring to the field.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
5 months???? There is no way you have that dog obedience trained by 5 mos. No way should you be bringing a pup that young on a hunt without any training and if you do you certainly shouldn't be correcting him on anything because he don't know anything yet. This is a good way to teach him bad habits and or freak him out. He needs to be obedience trained and introduced to the gun before you start taking him in the field. You stand a chance to make him gun shy. He's just way too young to bring to the field.

Buddy, just cause he don't do the same stuff as you with his dog don't mean there is no way what he's doing is right....geez man relax I'm sure he has this...I trained my yellow lab different from anybody ever and he was hunting at 8 months....made his first live retrieve on rocks at 5 months...
Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
Buddy, just cause he don't do the same stuff as you with his dog don't mean there is no way what he's doing is right....geez man relax I'm sure he has this...I trained my yellow lab different from anybody ever and he was hunting at 8 months....made his first live retrieve on rocks at 5 months...

Ok, have at it! Just never heard of taking a dog hunting before it was trained. Obedience = Sit(and sit means stay) heal, and down. How do you accomplish all that as soon as you pull him off the teet? How can you do anything with a dog until it has been obedience trained?

Last edited by Feesherman; 08-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

5 months is really young IMO. I'm not trying to sway either way but that is pretty young. But the way your trying to do it would be the best way. Field setting and don't even bring your gun. Your not gonna have time to pick it up wit a 5mo old.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Not saying he was perfect at 5mos or 8 hell he still ain't perfect at 2years but he is for me....he was a very smart pup and learned general obedience very easily...I'm just saying everybody does it different....5 months may have been to early but it turned out great for me...hell he would get mad when I wouldn't take him. He was riding in boats early early and I was shooting around him at. A couple months...I honestly believe he was born to do it like his daddy was...he was also my first dog I trained and it may have been very different but he's been the funnest part of my life since I got him....and he ain't a bad gun dog either.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Ok, have it! Just never heard of taking a dog hunting before it was trained. Obedience = Sit(and sit means stay) heal, and down. How do you accomplish all that as soon as you pull him off the teet? How can you do anything with a dog until it has been obedience trained?
Sit, stay, heel is taught @ a very young age in a gun dogs life that's the FIRST thing they learn. But those fellas are correct about breaking him into gun fire. Make the gun play a game where there is no pressure of obedience maybe play a simple game of fetch and have a buddy fire a weapon of some sort as you throw a dummy...but I agree baby steps with the pup. Force fetch training is not even a thought yet, you don't want to break the pups spirit.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
Sit, stay, heel is taught @ a very young age in a gun dogs life that's the FIRST thing they learn. But those fellas are correct about breaking him into gun fire. Make the gun play a game where there is no pressure of obedience maybe play a simple game of fetch and have a buddy fire a weapon of some sort as you throw a dummy...but I agree baby steps with the pup. Force fetch training is not even a thought yet, you don't want to break the pups spirit.
No doubt, force fetch doesn't come until obedience is nailed down AND they have all their adult teeth!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Ling

Okay.......don't think I EVER said he was not in training. I've had him nine weeks, sit, stay and here at 75% so far, he is retrieving from water now (I am blessed with my very own pond) and has been retrieving to 2X4 "slap" and started Sunday to retrieve to 22 lr (my very own Sig 1911 22lr)........

Hope that relieves your anxiety a little Feesherman!
understand your comments, but dis ain't my first rodeo and this ain't no high strung field trial lab.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Ling

And he will not be forced fetch.........he is a Wachtelhund and while I see many labs and CBR's forced fetch, I have yet to need to have dog forced.

I am not a trail type dog person, I am completely happy with a dog that uses his nose and come and goes to whatever line makes sense.

I train to a little different standard that is not widely accepted around here.
Quiet is good, nose is good, being still is great, coming when called and kenneling when told too.......a good dog needs to be trained, a great breed needs to be educated.

I've never had a lab, but have hunted with many fine ones.
My golden, my springer and my boykin where all "around the hunt" at less than a year.
My boykin was in a dove field at three months, from that day forward she exactly knew what bringing out the gun meant.

I hunt Venice and that is just too much like I said.
I am looking for someone to help me provide a controlled situation where we might kill a couple birds.

And I agree, I likely will not bring my gun, but we will see where he is at that point.

I really do appreciate the comments, just thought I needed to expound a little.

If you read any good soft dog training book, experiences is the key. this is adding to that.
And for sit stay come kennel and down, this is my first time clicker training and this dog will do anything if I have a gold fish cracker in my hand and a click.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

I would have to agree that 5 months is very young, but its your dog and you know it better than anyone else. But some of the best training advice I was ever told was, "there's a difference between being smart and being lucky".
Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

I totally disagree with Feesherman. I hunted mine 7 days of teal season at 5
months. She learned a ton. By big duck season she was a machine.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

If he knows basic obedience I should have said. It totally depends on the dog in my opinion.