SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default what is the best way to texture the ceiling in just one room?

I have plans to put sheetrock up just on the ceilings in every room in the house, but its being done in small stages just one at a time since all space is being lived in, so there is no practical way to leave a room unfinished because it needs to be made fully usable before moving on to the next room.

my problem is in doing one room at a time, how to texture the ceilings? its going to be too expensive to rent a machine each time for each room (like $50-$75 per day) and I don't have any walls to spray to justify spending that money.

I wont be able to spray the whole house at one time, so how do you just do a small area like one 12x12 room?

any sheetrock or remodeling guys out there can give me the best way to approach this?
Old 01-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Why texture it. No one does that anymore. That's so 1980's. Just prime and paint. You can use a thick nap roller wth the right primer and create a little texture if you want.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Flounder

Cash: 701

Prime the walls and ceiling with a roller. Tape off where the wall meets the ceiling. Mix ceiling paint with sheetrock mud in a bucket. Use a stomping brush to apply To the ceiling. The thicker the mixture the rougher the texture will be. If you want a finish with no points or more of a venetian plaster look you can go back with a 2x4 and lightly drag the texture. You can do as little or as much ad you want to at a time. Just put a drop cloth under the area you are doing
Old 01-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Red Snapper

thanks for the help guys, I have done the roller texture thing before, and it looks ok although its hard to get a uniform look in large areas, but im looking for a smooth finish so im not looking for the old fashioned pointy stuff look, im looking to do the same orange peel texture they do on walls. it looks flat but that's what finish they do one ceilings now.

I have never seen a ceiling done that doesnt have at least an orange peel finish. there are just way too many minor imperfections that would stick out from a mile away if it didn't have some sort of texture to hide it. you just cant get that much flat area to have a perfect finish and not need some form of texture to cover and hide all those minor finish imperfections.

someone sent me a link to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252175543056?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

im going to buy this to do it since I already have a compressor for it.

since I wont have to be renting the machine to texture with, I can do as many one room at a time areas as I need to.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
I have never seen a ceiling done that doesnt have at least an orange peel finish. if it didn't have that any minor imperfection would stick out from a mile away. you just cant get that much flat area to have a perfect finish and not need some form of texture to cover and hide all those minor finish imperfections.

So you haven't been in a house constructed in the last 15 years?? I've been looking at houses the last couple months and all new construction homes have a smooth ceiling with no texture. No texture on the walls either.

But yeah, if the sheetrock guy can't float it good then I guess you have to cover it up not to show.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
Why texture it. No one does that anymore. That's so 1980's. Just prime and paint. You can use a thick nap roller wth the right primer and create a little texture if you want.
so they don't do orange peel on walls and ceilings anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
So you haven't been in a house constructed in the last 15 years?? I've been looking at houses the last couple months and all new construction homes have a smooth ceiling with no texture. No texture on the walls either.

But yeah, if the sheetrock guy can't float it good then I guess you have to cover it up not to show.
I thought it was orange peel up there? I haven't been up on ceilings to check it out but a painter guy I know said they spray ceilings and walls with orange peel in the houses they do.

I do want the new look so if no texture is needed that's great, just have to do a little more mud and finish work to get a smooth finish I guess
Old 01-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
so they don't do orange peel on walls and ceilings anymore?

There wasn't any in the houses I've been looking at. I do see it from time to time though. But it's probably to save money not having to pay good Sheetrock guys to float it perfectly. I'm sure there is a cost difference to a builder.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default what is the best way to texture ceilings in just one room

I just finished a room upstairs with a texture gun. I just bought the texture in the square box for spraying at Home depot. Mixed in water with a big paddle mixer on a drill motor and got it to the right mix It goes on super fast and you can do a room 10' X 14' in about 10 minutes of spraying. It says don't over fill....well you have to keep the sprayer moving. I ran mine on a pancake porter cable compressor. 23-25 lbs is what this sprayer called for. I did a orange peel on walls and a orange peel knockdown on ceiling. Don't buy the wagner sprayer with turbine....I bought one for a upstairs bathroom project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texture gun.jpg (34.2 KB, 267 views)
Old 01-07-2016, 03:23 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbert Chamblee View Post
I just finished a room upstairs with a texture gun. I just bought the texture in the square box for spraying at Home depot. Mixed in water with a big paddle mixer on a drill motor and got it to the right mix It goes on super fast and you can do a room 10' X 14' in about 10 minutes of spraying. It says don't over fill....well you have to keep the sprayer moving. I ran mine on a pancake porter cable compressor. 23-25 lbs is what this sprayer called for. I did a orange peel on walls and a orange peel knockdown on ceiling. Don't buy the wagner sprayer with turbine....I bought one for a upstairs bathroom project.
was the ceiling knock down a preference or was it lumpy and kinda needed it to be knocked down?

also, you got a tip on recipe how to mix it so its just right? or is it something you have to do some test sprays and take a best guess at?

also, is there a certain distance you found to be the best so it doesn't go on too heavy? or is it also something you have to do some test spots?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Redfish

Cash: 767

Quote:
was the ceiling knock down a preference or was it lumpy and kinda needed it to be knocked down?

also, you got a tip on recipe how to mix it so its just right? or is it something you have to do some test sprays and take a best guess at?

also, is there a certain distance you found to be the best so it doesn't go on too heavy? or is it also something you have to do some test spots?

Start off on a scrap piece of plywood or something until you get your distance and recipe, or should I say viscosity like you want.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

But a gun off of Craiglist, a pawn shop or Harbor Freight, when you done sell it to a pawn shop, Craigslist.

Its $25 at Habor Freight and get good reviews....http://www.harborfreight.com/texture...gun-66103.html
Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Red Snapper

ok, thanks guys
Old 01-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

We do a slick finish on all walls and ceilings of the houses I build. They thin down sheetrock mud , roll it on and use a wide blade to wipe the majority off leaving about 1/16" of mud on the wall , then they sand it . It is called a level 5 finish .

But Most builders in Baton Rouge do a level 3 finish with a very fine orange peel texture .
Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
We do a slick finish on all walls and ceilings of the houses I build. They thin down sheetrock mud , roll it on and use a wide blade to wipe the majority off leaving about 1/16" of mud on the wall , then they sand it . It is called a level 5 finish .

But Most builders in Baton Rouge do a level 3 finish with a very fine orange peel texture .
thanks, that level 3 light orange peel is what I see in most middle income houses
Old 01-08-2016, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,520

I've done what Pox is describing in my last 2 houses with the exception that we bought primer that had the sheetrock mud premixed in it. We bought it in 5gal buckets and rolled ceilings and walls with it before painting. Probably not at good as what Pox is talking about but our houses aren't in the million dollar price range either.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:12 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

After we sand the skim coat we spray a hi build primer as well . Literally like glass
Old 01-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Be careful when putting that popcorn back on your seiling, as it can be messy. We did it and had to replace some of our wallpaper and shag carpet.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
After we sand the skim coat we spray a hi build primer as well . Literally like glass
I bet that looks really sharp!