SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,022
Default Caught another limit bass in Spillway

I went back to mouth of Upper Grand River and the Atchafalaya River.
Tried crankbaits not takers.
Used same proven method redshad worms, titanium weight 1/8, glass bead ahead of weight with bobber stopper. Drop worm next to brush or before the brush and let current take worm in the brush and next thing you know you line would go the other way. That was ticket I can say 1 out of 2 bass were keepers and stopped counting after 50 bass. They have alot of trees and structure in that area and drop off like wow the bank to 25 ft pretty quickly.
Only thing that can aggravate you is the current. I tried a heavier weight and they seemed to like lighter weight better. Tried jigging trees with 3.8 oz red jig and problem was trying pull fish out of the trees and fighting current at same time. It did produce the bigger fish.

I hope tropical storm does not destroy the fishery due to Grand river was really low.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Flounder

Cash: 525

Good Report. Thanks.
Where is the mouth of the Upper Grand River and the Atchafalaya River?
Is it the Little Atchafalaya River near Cow Island Lake?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Thanks for the report
Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

good report, yeah I hope the spillway doesn't get destroyed like it did when hurricane Andrew hit! they are just now recovering from the last few that hit.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,022

If you launch at Bayou Sorrel or Upper Grand River on the East side of the spillway run to the mouth of Upper Grand River passing the work canal that goes into Whiskey Bay all the way to the end. Start fishing left side it is bare no trees but has huge stump right at mouth and fish that area in grand river and Atchafalya River. Then see trees sticking out both sides you fish them around mouth. Further from mouth the less the fish were ganged up, but that where I found nicer size fish.
I think they call that part of the river Lake Mongoulois. Not sure on that but google link should give you an idea. I have been fishing it since the middle of July its kind of tight lipped, but each trip except one due to wind in river the area produced fish. You got to use caution being on a river with current you do have to use common sense and pick and choose your days.

Water looked good for the past few weeks and I think they got deep water, good circulation to keep cool, and alot of food. Years ago I fished this after Andrew in the 1990's and if river low, not much wind or chop in river, it holds fish. I think the fish are natural northern strain or Kentucky bass not Florida bass due to they hit like a bull even the little ones.

Launches Upper Grand River which now is low and you take Road from Ramah South following levee or Bayou Sorrel run North and see sign to cross levee saying Upper Grand River Launch. Went Saturday morning after rain and the road was so bad at points I was dragging my trailer and had alot of mud all over truck and trailer.

Bayou Sorrel launch got to run 20 extra 15 to 20 minutes in a boat that averages 28 mph to 38 mph just to get to where you launch and then just follow Upper Grand River to the end. You can stop and catch smaller bass bunched up at Work canal, but keepers are at mouth of the river. Do not have to deal with driving on a gravel road for miles. Better road and better launch.

Last edited by jlsch1; 08-28-2012 at 06:27 PM.