SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156
Default Dead Hummingbird 757c GPS

Have had this Depth Finder/GPS for 5 yrs. Cost around $400-$450 new I think. A while ago it got to where I could not turn it off unless I disconnected it from the Battery (Cold boot). Then it got to where it would lock up and freeze with updating until "Cold Boot". Now I can't turn it on. I brought it with me on a family trip to either fix it, or buy a new one. I have a 12V Power supply and will start with that. Then I'll move to the on/off power switch. In a way, I'm thinking it's a nutted up processor. Any folks out there who have been down this road before? Once I take a screw driver to the case, it's all on me I know, but generally I can "MacGyver"(partially fix)stuff like this ....sometimes.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

Good luck. Doesn't sound like you have much to lose really. I say why the F not.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

good luck but after you are done, use some non electrically corrosive sealant to reseal things. some of the most common sealants can cause issues with electronics.

I bet its just corrosion in the solder joints and remelting to resolder all of them again will be all it takes to fix it, with many faulty marine electronic equipt, that's all it turns out to be

Last edited by keakar; 07-24-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Trophy Trout

OK...Eureka !!!!!!! After much work with 100% modified tools etc., I think I'm on the verge of fixing my GPS/Depth finder. #1- there was some kind of black foam on top of something, it was all messed up and maybe damp due to a crack on the glass front. After removing that, and figuring out if an old 12V power supply was good, and the polarity, bla bla, I got it to power on, and to allow me to apply the Exit button. Now I need to dry it out, and celebrate my $500.00 savings.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

congrats
Old 07-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

Corrosion X is some good stuff to use to displace water and prevent corrosion. I spray all the electricals on my motors for good measure. It's supposed to be good for electronics also. Read up on it. Some reviews say it will revitalize electronics. It will eat any corrosion you can't access while adding protection.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Trophy Trout

At is very moment I'm sitting in my brothers cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains. At 10:00 AM, it's 73 deg F outside. The windows stay open all day and night. At 5:30 PM every day some deer come up to eat out of his feeder.

Point being......if it was this cool in SW La. now, I could also fix the bilge pump switch .....and.....swap the plugs on my trolling motor(for the second time). The Spec's would be cooperating, and I would be filling up my freezers again w/ spec's and shrimp....