SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Cash: 376
Default Optima batteries

Trying to decide witch battery to chose for my trolling motor D34m, D31m or D27m ! Do any of u guys run this kind of batteries or have any suggestions on optima batteries ? I have a 70 lb 24v trolling motor.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Redfish

Cash: 899

The numbers are the size of the battery. Use the biggest that will fit. I run 31s. 34 is a monster.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
The numbers are the size of the battery. Use the biggest that will fit. I run 31s. 34 is a monster.
I agree,measure the space you have a go with the biggest you can fit. Expensive,but last longer than a wet cell.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Redfish

Cash: 825

A buddy of mine turned me on to AGM batteries. I beleive he is a member on this forum, so he may chime in with more info. I just purchased a pair of rebuilt group 31 batteries for my trolling motor for the price of one Optima battery. You may want to search if there is a business that deals in nothing but batteries for your area.

What is a AGM or Absorbed Glass Mat Battery?
The newer type of sealed nonspillable maintenance free valve regulated battery uses "Absorbed Glass Mats", or AGM separators between the plates. This is a very fine fiber Boron-Silicate glass mat. These type of batteries have all the advantages of gelled, but can take much more abuse. These are also called "starved electrolyte.” Just like the Gel batteries, the AGM Battery will not leak acid if broken.

What are the advantages of the AGM battery?
The advantages of AGM batteries are no maintenance, sealed against fumes, hydrogen, leakage, or non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes. AGM batteries are "recombinant" – which means the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine inside the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost. Charging voltages for most AGM batteries are the same as for a standard type battery so there is no need for special charging adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or charge controls. Since the internal resistance is extremely low, there is almost no heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge currents. AGM batteries have a very low self-discharge rate (from 1% to 3% per month). So they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging. The plates in AGM's are tightly packed and rigidly mounted, and will withstand shock and vibration better than any standard battery.

Side story: On the way to pick up the batteries, I won $100.00 on a Texas lotto scratch off. So, I really bought both batteries for the price of a regular Academy battery.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Redfish

Cash: 851

Yes AGM batteries last longer & can take more abuse. I have gone all weekend on a single charge,longer than the Optimas I use to have.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Optima is a AGM battery....
Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Cash: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Optima is a AGM battery....
Thanks for the info guys ! I thought optima was an agm !
Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 851

Optimas are AGM's like stated above, I get a rebuilt AGM for $65 that last longer than the Optimas I use to own at a cheaper price.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,052

Call my brother he will hook you up and answer any question u got interstate batteries in Alex 3184430354 ask for shane tell him I told you to call

sent from my iPhone eating droid
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 652

Hello, I noticed your conversation and wanted to offer some assistance. I can answer a lot of battery questions, but I'll never be able to explain why the Battery Council International (BCI) picks the number designations they do for automotive batteries. Group 27 batteries are larger than Group 34 batteries and Group 31 batteries are larger than both Group 27 and Group 34 batteries. You can view all the specification on our BlueTop batteries here.

In deep-cycle applications, reserve capacity is generally a more important consideration than cranking amps, with more reserve capacity equalling more run time. I also want to stress that trolling motor batteries should be designed for deep-cycle use. Our Group 34M BlueTop with a black case, is the marine equivalent of our RedTop starting batteries and is not designed for deep-cycle use, including trolling motors. Additionally, anytime multiple batteries are run in series or parallel configurations, they must be identical in age, size and type (AGM or FLA). If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 10-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

This is cool. If I make a post about playboy playmates, will miss October come post tomorrow?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 632

I had a set (3) of batteries on my boat that were from NAPA and they were deep cycle batteries. Trolling motor was slower than normal took all batteries to NAPA had them checked and it was one that was bad. The batteries were dated bought in 2006 which was what the white writing was on the batteries. Left NAPA with one battery cause the salesman said the rest were good. These batteries stay on a battery maintainer at all times and have lasted this many years and have never went dead on an all day fishing trip. Just giving you my experience with NAPA batteries and the cost is not bad either right at 90 dollars.