SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,214
Default Closure of the Grand Bayou Boat Bay

News Release [SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
Department of the Interior / U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
Southwest Louisiana National Wildlife Refuge Complex[SIZE=3]
Cameron Prairie NWR[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
1428 Highway 27[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
Bell City, LA 70630[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
For Immediate Release [/SIZE][SIZE=3]
January 31, 2012 [/SIZE][SIZE=3]

Public Information Director
Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority
Desk:
[/SIZE][SIZE=3](225) 342-7615[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
Cell: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3](225) 768-8882[/SIZE][SIZE=3]

The boat bay at Grand Bayou allowing public access to the Cameron Prairie National Wildlife Refuge will be closed until further notice beginning Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. The closure is necessary to allow fresh water from recent rains to alleviate high salinities in the Cameron Creole Watershed caused by extended drought in 2011. This action is being taken in accordance with the Cameron-Creole Water Management Plan. Lowering salinity to the target levels in the Operations Permit will facilitate recovery of marsh vegetation and help reduce land loss in the watershed.

Effective January 1, 2012 the U S Fish and Wildlife Service relinquished daily operation of the water control structures on the east side of Calcasieu Lake to the Louisiana State Office of Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority. Daily Operations and maintenance of the structures along the east side of Calcasieu Lake are now funded by the Coastal Wetlands Planning Protection and Restoration Act (CWPPRA) as part of the Cameron Creole Maintenance (CS-04a) project. Gate operations are now performed by a contractor directed by the Louisiana State Office of Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority. [/SIZE]
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Told ya this was coming.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Thank god!!!! East bank reefs may be fishable... I bet W has a hard on right now
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadams View Post
Thank god!!!! East bank reefs may be fishable... I bet W has a hard on right now
Roger..hope the keep them closed to September so I can go castnet some skrimps
Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadams View Post
Just spit coke everywhere.

Bout time they shut em down.. they will be crying in a bit. Hang tight guys. This will get good.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post
S U C K it!!! You don't even have a clue! Go analyze a photo with a big fish so you can go potlick it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dont-be-mad-bro.jpg (24.6 KB, 474 views)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Aight, I'm laughing. You about as tall as him and have the same body structure!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,510

Quote:
aight, i'm laughing. You about as tall as him and have the same body structure!
l m a o !

+1
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Aight, I'm laughing. You about as tall as him and have the same body structure!
Lol.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Redfish

Cash: 708

About time!!!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

i lived and grew up in grand lake and complained about the wiers just like everybody else. I live in raceland now and fish grand isle alot. in the last 10 years the land loss is unreal and i could only wish we had the wiers over here to help stop the land loss. although people ***** and complain they can not fish behind the wiers. you still have land between your house and the gulf. be grateful.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
i lived and grew up in grand lake and complained about the wiers just like everybody else. I live in raceland now and fish grand isle alot. in the last 10 years the land loss is unreal and i could only wish we had the wiers over here to help stop the land loss. although people ***** and complain they can not fish behind the wiers. you still have land between your house and the gulf. be grateful.
The land loss in grand isle is a situation that is very sad. I grew up fishing that area.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
Land loss is directly due to humans influencing the flow of water and sediment. If 'we' undo what we have done since the 1930s the problem will fix itself, but unfortunately there are too many stakeholders in it to get this accomplished. You could cut three holes in the MS River levee and stop the erosion. South of Venice this year there were hundreds of acres of land BUILT due to the freshwater and sediment influx from opening the freshwater diversions. It is very simple how to fix the problem. Louisiana will soon be getting a big chunk of money towards coastal land loss. The Deepwater Horizon oil spill was a horrible environmental disaster we may never know the total effects of, but it shed light on the coast and we are finally going to get some funding and start to try and slow the erosion process and perhaps stop the net land loss in the foreseeable future. Check out the Louisiana Coastal Master Plan and there are places for people to comment. It is not a magic bullet, and there are going to be some upset stakeholders, but its a start.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Land loss is directly due to humans influencing the flow of water and sediment. If 'we' undo what we have done since the 1930s the problem will fix itself, but unfortunately there are too many stakeholders in it to get this accomplished. You could cut three holes in the MS River levee and stop the erosion. South of Venice this year there were hundreds of acres of land BUILT due to the freshwater and sediment influx from opening the freshwater diversions. It is very simple how to fix the problem. Louisiana will soon be getting a big chunk of money towards coastal land loss. The Deepwater Horizon oil spill was a horrible environmental disaster we may never know the total effects of, but it shed light on the coast and we are finally going to get some funding and start to try and slow the erosion process and perhaps stop the net land loss in the foreseeable future. Check out the Louisiana Coastal Master Plan and there are places for people to comment. It is not a magic bullet, and there are going to be some upset stakeholders, but its a start.
Yep.....just look at the wax and atchafayla outlet. Building land like crazy,river water will always be the answer to the erosion problems.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

to many big money people have their hands in the pot to open the spillways. like i said i live in raceland by the water plant which is 50 miles by car from belle pass late in the year you can taste the salt water in the drinking water because they do not want to open the donaldsonville spillway which would flood peoples wharfs and docks. that is a crappy excuse for people to have to drink and bathe in salt water. not to mention to help rebuild the marsh.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
This is the truth.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Closing the weirs will make more parking space at Heberts.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

What's the impact on BL fishing?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Won't hurt much. They will find another secret spot.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spook View Post
What's the impact on BL fishing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nuke%20Test.jpg (33.4 KB, 191 views)