SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,783
Default mud boats

I have a home made skiff with a 1984 toyota cellica engine in it, it sat for 4 years before i got it. It was ceased up, carborator was full of dirt dobers none of the throttle cables were connected its a mess. i just pulled the motor today after i got it unceasedd but i dont really know where to start now if anyone could post a link to a good mechanicing website on this type of motor id greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 2,199

that engine should be a toyota 20Ror a 22R if I'm correct. Same engine they put in the toyota pickups. Though, its been a while. These motors are a plentiful in salvage yards. I would just find a motor that is complete with carb and exhaust mainfold, etc..... Just swap the hole thing out. Would be a good bit cheaper that way. Those engines are tough as nails.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

22R was bullet-proof ...

Had one in my Yota pickup back in the day, put it thru hell and back...

Hydro
Old 08-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Tripletail

i was thinking about doin that but didnt know how much a new motor would cost at a junk yard or which one to go to. i heard there is a really nice one in laffayette but how much am i looking at for something like that.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

A reputable long block will run around 2k without core... You could find a junker for half of that complete with externals....

Good luck !

Hydro
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Tripletail

man that would be nice but once again like the paint on my boat this a poor boy operation here but i appreciate the info
Old 08-02-2012, 03:56 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.e.hagen View Post
i was thinking about doin that but didnt know how much a new motor would cost at a junk yard or which one to go to. i heard there is a really nice one in laffayette but how much am i looking at for something like that.

Call Robbo's Auto salvage in Breaux Bridge (337-332-6702). Speak to billy or Tess, tellem Johnny Michaud sent you. Awesome people and that motor should not be expensive. Let me know if you have any troubles. I believe my buddy might have one or so laying around. I'm overseas at the moment but should be home this weekend. We'll get you sorted. Duck season is coming up soon.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka337 View Post
Call Robbo's Auto salvage in Breaux Bridge (337-332-6702). Speak to billy or Tess, tellem Johnny Michaud sent you. Awesome people and that motor should not be expensive. Let me know if you have any troubles. I believe my buddy might have one or so laying around. I'm overseas at the moment but should be home this weekend. We'll get you sorted. Duck season is coming up soon.
FYI, You-pull-it is another yard in Lafayette, motors like that will cost you 100-200 bucks there, but you have to pull it yourself
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Tripletail

now your talking poboy talk lol thanks alot man i will give them a call this afternoon, i might be able to make this motor work but it will for sure need several parts. From what i read on the web this motor is pretty easy to work with and theres really not a hole lot of stuff on it but if they had a working motor for under 400 i would cut my losses and just do that.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Tripletail

The mud boat is a working progress fellas I got the motor out of the boat all the components off the head off one piston apparently had moisture in it bc it was rusty and the water jacket was pretty much cemented off. I got it all cleaned up and it should work the actual head mechanic on this project found almost all the replacement parts at "you pull it" and we should be puttin it all back together tuesday morning and see if we can't make something happen.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Tripletail

sorry guys but i lied to yall bc i was lied to the motor in my boat is not a cellica or a 80s model its a 79 corolla but its coming alone good all i lack now is a head gasket and fire im not sure whats going on but somethings up with my distributer but there not expensive. i was having trouble finding a head gasket for it but thanks to my good buddy mcnabb hes the only one with a brain in the operation and made me call toyota dealership and i went from having to send off the old head gasket to get a new made for a 100 to 120 bucks to getting one in 5 days for 43 bucks after these two dilemas we should have a working boat but we shall see.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

That ain't good if I'm the only one with a brain in the operation, cuz I ain't got much myself
Old 08-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Tripletail

Is there a way for me to test the distributer on this motor? Is there someone i can bring it to if not?