SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849
Default Meat Grinder

What type of meat grinder do you all have? Want to purchase one but not sure what to get.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 557

The 1/2 HP one from Cabelas work just fine. They normally go on sale on black friday.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,445

I think mine is a lews. Go to targils in Opelousas, they have everything you need
Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

lem #8 575 watts......works great but will get a #12 if this one ever goes out....don't skimp get the most power you can afford if your going to make use of it....besides pork n deer I grind my own beef so I know what I got. buy when its on sale . I prefer chuck roast.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Flounder

Cash: 703

If you have a kitchen aid mixer, the attachment for a meat grinder is cheap and works well.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

I have the 3/4 hp LEM. It's a beast. You can not feed it fast enough. LOL
Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@DOG View Post
The 1/2 HP one from Cabelas work just fine. They normally go on sale on black friday.
X2, although i use a 3/4 hp---bout the same. however, i've been looking at meat saws(bandsaw) with 3/4 hp grinders built into the side of em. i really want a saw and if the combination deal works good, i think it would be a better deal---money wise. the prices i see on google($400) are less than a grinder alone. anybody use one of these?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

Don't get anything less than 1/2HP, more if you do lots of deer & hogs. Lots = > 6-8
Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

My neighbor has this one, http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-...3Bcat104364180 ,
3 weekends ago I helped him grind 3 deer and 2 cases of pork. The only time it slowed down was when we weren't feeding it.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Redfish

Cash: 479
Default Be Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth move View Post
X2, although i use a 3/4 hp---bout the same. however, i've been looking at meat saws(bandsaw) with 3/4 hp grinders built into the side of em. i really want a saw and if the combination deal works good, i think it would be a better deal---money wise. the prices i see on google($400) are less than a grinder alone. anybody use one of these?
Smooth Move...I bought a combination years ago, and it was pure junk. However, mind was a cheap version from Harbor Freight. I am not saving the combo set up is junk, just the prodcut I bought was. Just be careful.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:40 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

I HAVE THE 1HP FROM CABELAS....NO REGRETS...HAD IT FOR bout 6 years now. Last year we ground, seasoned, and packaged 180 lbs of pan sausage, and had everything cleaned up in 3 hours..I also have the 20lb veticle stuffer from cabelas. Quality equipment IMO
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Same advice that was given to me when i started grinding and making sausage and boudin. Buy the biggest you can afford. It may seem like over kill when you want to make a quick 10 lb batch of sausage. But when you have multiple hogs or deer to grind it pays for it self.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMade View Post
Smooth Move...I bought a combination years ago, and it was pure junk. However, mind was a cheap version from Harbor Freight. I am not saving the combo set up is junk, just the prodcut I bought was. Just be careful.
were both the saw and grinder junk? there's quite a difference in the prices that i find on line. i guess you get what you pay for. my grinder is in great shape, i might be better off just getting a saw.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 479
Default Entire Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth move View Post
were both the saw and grinder junk? there's quite a difference in the prices that i find on line. i guess you get what you pay for. my grinder is in great shape, i might be better off just getting a saw.
I only paid $186.00 for entire unit, so please take that into consideration.

The saw was more of the problem. It oftened left it's track, even when cutting only meat, as opposed to small bone. This would then require a complete take down of the upper unit to repair. Also, when this isssue happen, it generally caused meat residue to get inside the wheel system which operated the saw blade. This obviously caused a cleaning nightmare and cleaniness issues on subsequent uses.

The grinder itself worked fine, but it was impossible to feed the system more than one piece (approx. 2" x 6") of pork/venison at one time because of the location of the intake hole. That hole is located right near the entire cabinet of the unit, which then prevents you from adding a tray of some sort to accept more than a few ounces of product at one time.

Finally, the housing (cabinet) which held the grinder and saw was cheaply built, which made clean-up a major project.

But again, I paid less than $200.00.

I have a large family with many hunters and we still all process at our grandparents. The larger Cabelas models have worked perfectly for us as to grinding meats. As to cutting bone, we now use a battery operated recpr saw.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMade View Post
I only paid $186.00 for entire unit, so please take that into consideration.

The saw was more of the problem. It oftened left it's track, even when cutting only meat, as opposed to small bone. This would then require a complete take down of the upper unit to repair. Also, when this isssue happen, it generally caused meat residue to get inside the wheel system which operated the saw blade. This obviously caused a cleaning nightmare and cleaniness issues on subsequent uses.

The grinder itself worked fine, but it was impossible to feed the system more than one piece (approx. 2" x 6") of pork/venison at one time because of the location of the intake hole. That hole is located right near the entire cabinet of the unit, which then prevents you from adding a tray of some sort to accept more than a few ounces of product at one time.

Finally, the housing (cabinet) which held the grinder and saw was cheaply built, which made clean-up a major project.

But again, I paid less than $200.00.

I have a large family with many hunters and we still all process at our grandparents. The larger Cabelas models have worked perfectly for us as to grinding meats. As to cutting bone, we now use a battery operated recpr saw.

Hope this helps!
ok, thanks. we're doing like y'all are and using a portable saws all and cabelas grinder. guess i'll keep doing it like this untill i can see one of these saw/grinders in person. thanks again.