SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734
Default Biloxi Marsh non-report

Last week was spring break for my son and we usually go to Venice this time of year as well around Turkey day. We wanted to do something different, as well find cleaner waters, we normally fish Big Lake, those of you that have been there can appreciate my quest for clearer waters.

We are in Desoto parish, my original plan was to depart Wed afternoon, stop at my step daughters in BR for the night and head on in to Shell Beach Thursday . Ended up pushing our trip back one day due to high winds on Thursday. We arrived Friday at 7am and was headed down the MRGO by 8.

The plan was to hit the south side of the rock dam on the MRGO, with a rising tide and a south wind we figured there should be some bait up in there, and where theres bait, theres fish. Just before we got into the bayou we stopped on the N side of the rocks and set up my sons new rod/reel. We were already there so we fished the rocks and the dam area. Normally we fish different rigs until we find what the flavor of the day is, and that's how we started. My son was on a Matrix Shad green hornet, and I just threw a shrimp.

I ended up picking up one 27" red and my son picked up a 14" Speck. We threw em back, as they were not in "our" preferred slot (this later turns out to be a good call)

As the N side or the rocks were not our intended area after the catch we headed in to the bayou, but kept hearing few rumbles of thunder in the distance. When got to the 4 way we stopped and decided to check weather radar, damn good thing we did! With in that hour from leaving Campos (checked radar before we left, and just a few small showers were showing up) A HUGE thunderstorm had popped up to the SW and headed right for us!

Got the boat turned around and started "haullin my mule" back to the MRGO once we got to the MRGO about 1/2 way back to Campos the bottom fell out. Normally we just motor on along at just above idle it keep a good heading, but the lightening was popping all around us and next to us! At this point I throttled up and turned on every light I had even though vis was very poor and just IFR'd my way back to Campos from GPS tracks. I was not staying in the lightening zone.

From that point on we stayed at Campos, hoping and watching the radar, it never really let up enough to get back out. So we called it a day and loaded the boat. Took a look at the following days forecast 20-25+ winds, at that point I called the trip. Boy was I glad we didn't keep those two fish! I would have had to clean em

We never got unloaded at our accommodations and the owner of the place was cool about it and didn't charge us.

The very little I did get to fish I have already found a new place I want to explore more, sorry Venice, nice knowing ya but I think I have a new squeeze!!

Old 04-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Nice fish Marty, thanks for the report
Old 04-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,219

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
X2
Old 04-05-2016, 07:46 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,855

Looks like a great time on Spring Break...
Old 04-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Glad you guys got back safe.
t
Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
It's a non-report, report?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Flounder

Cash: 532

Come on marty i just started fishing big lake now you going to change on me. lol. That is one place i have never fished not because i did not want to but just never made it there.