SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,527
Default Diesel injectors

Anybody had injectors changed on their diesel?
I just took my truck to the dealership, it's a 5.9L Cummins & they are telling me all 6 injectors need changing at a cost of $5300.00!!!!! Yea you heard me!!! $5300!!!!! I liked to have fell out my chair!
Here's the deal, it had a 100k mile warranty at 50k they changed 2, at 80k they changed 2 more at 96k they said I have 4 bad but would change all 6 before my warranty ran out, it now has 130k & they are saying all 6 are bad! WTH???? That would be 16 injectors in a 130k miles! I personally think they're full of #%^*!
Where ya at Capt D? Had any of yours changed? Or anybody else? That price sound right?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,052

U can order aftermarket ones. A lot cheeper and will fix ur problem
Also get a shadetree mechanic. To do. It

Sent from my Milestone XT720
Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 843

That is the price you pay when owning a diesel............I know it sucks but it is a common cost for diesels. I used to work as a technician at a chevy dealership, and this is a common problem with ALL Diesels. As a diesel owner, you need to be very picky about where you get your diesel from. Poor diesel quality is the main cause for costly diesel repairs. Now getting aftermarket injectors is fine, but I DO NOT recommend getting a shade-tree mechanics to do it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_slayer View Post
That is the price you pay when owning a diesel............I know it sucks but it is a common cost for diesels. I used to work as a technician at a chevy dealership, and this is a common problem with ALL Diesels. As a diesel owner, you need to be very picky about where you get your diesel from. Poor diesel quality is the main cause for costly diesel repairs. Now getting aftermarket injectors is fine, but I DO NOT recommend getting a shade-tree mechanics to do it.

was on my phone i didn't mean just anybody i meant not the dealership....i was being lazy and didn't want to type....don't know how far it is but there is a shop in pitkin that did my work to mine and he was very reasonable. the ford shop in oakdale will not touch mine again....they do trial and error at your expense. then tell you all that was bad
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
was on my phone i didn't mean just anybody i meant not the dealership....i was being lazy and didn't want to type....don't know how far it is but there is a shop in pitkin that did my work to mine and he was very reasonable. the ford shop in oakdale will not touch mine again....they do trial and error at your expense. then tell you all that was bad
I hear ya bro.......its hard to find an awesome mechanic................kinda like lawyers
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I hear ya bro.......its hard to find an awesome mechanic................kinda like lawyers
those don't exist
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,919

Quote:

Bay slayer, where would you recommend getting diesel from, i mean what stations?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country7807 View Post
Bay slayer, where would you recommend getting diesel from, i mean what stations?

First I would start off with the newest stations that you can find. The tanks are cleanest and they usually have better upkeep and standards. After that..........it kind of trial and error............I never owned a diesel, but after working on diesels and having conversations with diesel customers, the best and most popular place to buy diesel around here was at the Chevron stations. But to tell you the truth, any brand of diesel coming from the "factory" are all about equal in quality. The diesel usually get dirty in the gas stations tanks...........and if you see a tanker truck filling the tanks......AVOID IT LIKE A PLAGUE!!!!! Reason being, The filling process stirs up all the debris in the tanks and it needs time to settle back to the bottom. Also DO NOT fill up your truck with "Tax-free" (red) diesel. Not only is it the dirtiest diesel you can find, but it will void your warranty (if you are still covered). Hope this helps
Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,919

Quote:
First I would start off with the newest stations that you can find. The tanks are cleanest and they usually have better upkeep and standards. After that..........it kind of trial and error............I never owned a diesel, but after working on diesels and having conversations with diesel customers, the best and most popular place to buy diesel around here was at the Chevron stations. But to tell you the truth, any brand of diesel coming from the "factory" are all about equal in quality. The diesel usually get dirty in the gas stations tanks...........and if you see a tanker truck filling the tanks......AVOID IT LIKE A PLAGUE!!!!! Reason being, The filling process stirs up all the debris in the tanks and it needs time to settle back to the bottom. Also DO NOT fill up your truck with "Tax-free" (red) diesel. Not only is it the dirtiest diesel you can find, but it will void your warranty (if you are still covered). Hope this helps

Thanks alot buddy!!! I own a 08 gmc 2500 duramax, and i like my truck, so all the little tips i can get of keeping it in the best shape helps. Even the little things ya know!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

My dad has a set of banks injectors from his old truck. Let me know if your interested.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 437

What year. The newer ones are way more expensive then the older dodge diesels. The older ones are not hard to change. Don't know about the newer ones.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Ling

I'm thinking it's the injector pump or return fuel line, it loses prime after sitting a day or 2. Once it cranks runs like the day I bought it. It's an '06
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
I'm thinking it's the injector pump or return fuel line, it loses prime after sitting a day or 2. Once it cranks runs like the day I bought it. It's an '06

wouldn't be the glow plugs?...im no mechanic just a thought....
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
wouldn't be the glow plugs?...im no mechanic just a thought....
Cummins doesn't have glow plugs, some type of heating panel, thought about that though.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Flounder

Cash: 815

Try Weaver Bros. in Jasper, TX.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 PM
King Mackeral

Not murphy

Sent from my Milestone XT720
Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

"Red" and clear are the same diesel so why would the "Off Road" diesel be dirty?? If that were the case, how many farmers would be pumping it into their $200,000 combines and tractors????? Red diesel runs great in trucks until the Feds catch you and then it becomes very Xpensive!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
"Red" and clear are the same diesel so why would the "Off Road" diesel be dirty?? If that were the case, how many farmers would be pumping it into their $200,000 combines and tractors????? Red diesel runs great in trucks until the Feds catch you and then it becomes very Xpensive!
I think he was referring to the storage containers they are kept in.

I used to run it in my 98 Cummins all the time. The company I worked for at the time kept plenty of it and didn't mind us pulling a tank a week. It was great but, I also never got my tank dipped by DOT either!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Flounder

Cash: 717

Try Weaver Dodge in Kirbyville,Tx. ask for Ken in service.They are cheaper than any local dealership and worth the drive .
Old 01-21-2011, 12:24 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Because farmers DONT keep the storage tanks clean.............I changed more diesel engines in farm trucks than any other diesels............guess why!!