SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192
Default Biggest darn hornets........big problem!!

When I purchased my home last year the back yard had Cicada Killing Hornets in it........I poured paint in the holes, gas, diesel, you name it(nothing worked)...........They left around sept...........They are back this year in FULL FORCE!!! Hundreds and Hundreds of them!!! I've been back there w/ a batmitton racket everyday goin to town........The hardest swing I have will only stun it and put it to the ground........If I don't run over there and step on it, it flies away......usually right at me!! Web sites say they don't sting humans, but I've got dogs and kids running around...........Dogs are always trying to bite them in mid air, stupid dogs......................anyone here an exterminator??? I've found that if I wait till they go to their hole at sundown, I can pour gas on them, that kills em good! And quick........but after 2 gallons of gas and numerous bald spots in my yard(from the fire....oops) I haven't even made a dent............web-site says to pour 6inches of gravel where they live, but I'm not haulin all that in my backyard!! I like my grass................Anyone else have these things, or a solution?? I'll get a pic up of one to show how HUGE these things are.............Tim
Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Tim.......what if you just flooded them with water and keep a little water running from the hose for a few hours/days???

It might not kill them.....but maybe they will leave.

I can believe gas did not kill or drive them away.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
When I purchased my home last year the back yard had Cicada Killing Hornets in it........I poured paint in the holes, gas, diesel, you name it(nothing worked)...........They left around sept...........They are back this year in FULL FORCE!!! Hundreds and Hundreds of them!!! I've been back there w/ a batmitton racket everyday goin to town........The hardest swing I have will only stun it and put it to the ground........If I don't run over there and step on it, it flies away......usually right at me!! Web sites say they don't sting humans, but I've got dogs and kids running around...........Dogs are always trying to bite them in mid air, stupid dogs......................anyone here an exterminator??? I've found that if I wait till they go to their hole at sundown, I can pour gas on them, that kills em good! And quick........but after 2 gallons of gas and numerous bald spots in my yard(from the fire....oops) I haven't even made a dent............web-site says to pour 6inches of gravel where they live, but I'm not haulin all that in my backyard!! I like my grass................Anyone else have these things, or a solution?? I'll get a pic up of one to show how HUGE these things are.............Tim

Ever tried a mixture of Malathon, Permitherin, Bengle, and any other kind you can find... Mix em all together and spray it in their holes, and in the grass...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I was also thinking about Bengle roach bombs.

Get a bucket to put over the hole and set the bomb off and cover it with the bucket.

If there are more than one hole.....cover or plug the other holes so they don't get out.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

I removed an ac unit fro mmy camp a few weeks ago and they had a nest in t he wall. They chicken flipped me off the ladder and tore me up. Permethrin will kill them. It is a poison used to treat termites but kills bugs period. I brought a pint of it last year to kill fleas around my house b/c I had thousand and it killed them along with every spider and roach I did not know I even had. Well after getting stung I went back the next weekend just to give the permethrin a try. I saw them buzzing around and sprayed down the nest. They flew off a few feet and started hitting the ground. I then removed the nest. I also had a bad problem with bumble bees eating into the rafters on my porch so I sprayed the holes while I was there and before I new it the bumble bees started falling out dead. I was pumped up as I did not actually expect this stuff to work but it did.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
I removed an ac unit fro mmy camp a few weeks ago and they had a nest in t he wall. They chicken flipped me off the ladder and tore me up. Permethrin will kill them. It is a poison used to treat termites but kills bugs period. I brought a pint of it last year to kill fleas around my house b/c I had thousand and it killed them along with every spider and roach I did not know I even had. Well after getting stung I went back the next weekend just to give the permethrin a try. I saw them buzzing around and sprayed down the nest. They flew off a few feet and started hitting the ground. I then removed the nest. I also had a bad problem with bumble bees eating into the rafters on my porch so I sprayed the holes while I was there and before I new it the bumble bees started falling out dead. I was pumped up as I did not actually expect this stuff to work but it did.

Permetherin is some awesome stuff... DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, but i think this stuff is safe to spray in your house and your animals. I spray this around, in, and in my dog house, I even spray some on my dog. A few years ago after the hurricane and problems with flooding, we had some problems with fleas, and they were coming into the house. I sprayed the whole house with permetherin and it worked and no one got sick. But like i said, DONT TAKE MY WORD and go spray ya house and get ya family sick and blame me..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg permetherin.jpg (2.2 KB, 457 views)
Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy View Post
Permetherin is some awesome stuff... DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, but i think this stuff is safe to spray in your house and your animals. I spray this around, in, and in my dog house, I even spray some on my dog. A few years ago after the hurricane and problems with flooding, we had some problems with fleas, and they were coming into the house. I sprayed the whole house with permetherin and it worked and no one got sick. But like i said, DONT TAKE MY WORD and go spray ya house and get ya family sick and blame me..

does it come in a spray?? I'd have better luck spraying them in the air than tryin to get them in the holes...........thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

Quote:
does it come in a spray?? I'd have better luck spraying them in the air than tryin to get them in the holes...........thanks
I mix it in a gallon sprayer. One ounce to the gallon and put it on jet stream and shoot them in the air like that. It worked for me but I did not have hundreds of the more lik 15-20 in my situation.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427
Default spray

Quote:
It comes concentrated in a bottle and you can normally get it at your local feed store. The brand I use is Martins and you can spray it in your house according to package directions. Put it in a potato pump and go to town!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Blue Marlin

One hole houses one hornet.......they don't have big nests in the ground like regular ground hornets........I have holes ALL OVER THE PLACE!! it's not a one time thing........I've sprayed wasp killer in the holes, they dig more, flooded the holes, but the ground obsorbed the water............I saw a pic online of all the holes they dig.........i'll get it.........O.K....see all the dark spots in pic? That's the dirt they dug out to make hole.........There's hundreds of them, it's crazy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornet.jpg (27.4 KB, 455 views)
Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Redfish

Cash: 650

Man, get yourself one them Racquet Zapper, that what we use at the camp. it fun.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

ok dink..i got about 155 gallons of wat u need ill give ya a good price if ya dont tell nobody im stock piling Napalm in mah back yard..
Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Blue Marlin

Finally found the cure........some fella has a site on how and what to use to get rid of them.........Here's a pic of them bastards..........=
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yuck.jpg (10.3 KB, 448 views)
Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 649

Quote:
Finally found the cure........some fella has a site on how and what to use to get rid of them.........Here's a pic of them bastards..........=
Link please,...
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Ling

Cash: 562

yep, my paw in law has same problem. he went ta chastant brothers and got sum spray. thats the only thing thatll kill em.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Chastant brothers know there stuff,went today to get some pestiside to kill some spiders.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montak17 View Post
Chastant brothers know there stuff,went today to get some pestiside to kill some spiders.
Next time your at Chastant Bros stop by LaFleur's safe and lock right next door there on pinhook..........ask for Tim, buy a new gun safe!!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

dude have you even seen those guys attack a cicada in midair?? Its pretty tight! lol
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Blue Marlin

I can't frickin believe it!!!!! After battling these bastards for months the last two years.......they're back!!!! This is ridiculous! My little man was chasing one a few minutes ago!!!! I am so fed up.......
Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

They all over outside the hospital I work at. U watch out the window near this bush and they just swarm all around