SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,857
Default Snowmobiler shoots moose with Glock

Guy on snowmobil shoots moose with his pistol after it charges him.. Pretty cool video!

http://youtu.be/F6A2FpqAahg
Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Great video.......

But IMO, He might be in trouble for shooting the Moose. At the point of shooting, the Moose was not attacking, it was walking away from him.

If it had turned around and coming back at him.....yes, shoot.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

the guy is an idiot and needs to go to jail!

he pulls up too close which the moose sees as aggression then when the moose backs off he pulls closer again and after the moose backs up more he pulls up again so the moose felt he was being attacked.

add to that its just a small young immature moose and the guy fended the moose off already with just his hands and when the moose was no longer facing him and looked ready to head in another direction because he was unsure what to do about this guy on a loud machine attacking him, this is when the guy feels the need to pull his gun and shoot him!!! why? because you need to get somewhere faster and cant wait for him to leave?

one warning shot from his gun when he first saw the moose and stopped, would have sent this moose running for the hills long before it got to this point and the worst crime of all was to run off knowing he killed it for no reason and wasted the meat. I hope he at least called the game warden to report the killing and see the meat goes to charity if you don't want it.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post

he pulls up too close which the moose sees as aggression then when the moose backs off he pulls closer again and after the moose backs up more he pulls up again so the moose felt he was being attacked.

add to that its just a small young immature moose and the guy fended the moose off already with just his hands and when the moose was no longer facing him and looked ready to head in another direction because he was unsure what to do about this guy on a loud machine attacking him, this is when the guy feels the need to pull his gun and shoot him!!! why? because you need to get somewhere faster and cant wait for him to leave?

one warning shot from his gun when he first saw the moose and stopped, would have sent this moose running for the hills long before it got to this point and the worst crime of all was to run off knowing he killed it for no reason and wasted the meat. I hope he at least called the game warden to report the killing and see the meat goes to charity if you don't want it.
We have no idea where this occurred or the laws governing human wildlife interactions at that time and place.

In most places, one does not need nearly the level of threat to justify shooting a domestic animal or a game animal that one needs to justify shooting a human or an endangered species.

Is there a duty to retreat in the relevant jurisdiction, or are citizens allowed to "stand your ground" against moose?

In the case of bears and wolves and dogs, I certainly hope armed citizens go ahead and shoot animals that have previously attacked humans as the law allows.

The shooter had much more justification for shooting the moose than many LEOs have when they shoot domestic dogs, and the LEOs are never charged.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347
Headknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post

what the heck is wrong with yall? he was riding on the path, stopped, was attacked already... i wouldnt have gave it the first chance to stomp me like he did. if you think you would have done something different, you must work for PETA. he took off cause he was probably freaked out and his adrenaline was going. he looked to be plenty far enough from it when he stopped. the animal was turning around to attack again or it was at least not fleeing from him.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Noticed he drove off quick after that....... He knew he had screwed up.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

I thought for sure once he locked and loaded that the moose was gonna come back for seconds. Not sure why this guy would even post this on youtube.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Very interesting video!
I think he had valid enough time to make other various choices before shooting the moose.
Glad it wasn't me.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
Very interesting video!
I think he had valid enough time to make other various choices before shooting the moose.
Glad it wasn't me.
Completely agree with you. It's easy to keboard quarterback this one after watching the video, but with adrenaline pumping none of us can say for sure what we would have done. With that being said, the coon@$$ in me thinks I would have dropped him and had him in the pot before sundown! And that video would have been erased!!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Looks like he missed the first shot then the moose charged again. So there goes the warning shot theory.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Whoa that was intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Good for him.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

The moose attacked once. Who's to say he wouldn't do it again?

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Dude made several mistakes. First and foremost he was carrying an unloaded weapon. Second he missed his first shot. Third he left a pile of steaks on that trail.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

Weak! That dude could have backed up n let that moose leave, he basically provoked the moose . Like others said a warning shot would have made it run off . Dude is an idiot .
Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Weak! That dude could have backed up n let that moose leave, he basically provoked the moose . Like others said a warning shot would have made it run off . Dude is an idiot .
YUP!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
So you are opposed to "stand your ground" laws and favor a duty to retreat?

Failing to retreat = provocation?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

Dude, are you serious? This isn't an armed gunman. This is a moose, a small one at that. This ***** has no respect for wildlife. Rule of thumb is you go the opposite way from a situation like this. He primed this animal into "attacking" him, and then he shot it. The animal was in retreat when he drew and fired.

"Stand your ground" is a weak argument after watching this video. He purposely provoked that moose. It was way too far away to have done anything if he felt like he was in danger. He could have easily turned around, or went another way, but he chose to sit there.

You ever had bear safety training, because I have, and the only time you stand your ground is when the bear is already aggressive. In any other situation you get the heck out of Dodge. Same applies to just about any animal. That moose did not appear to be aggressive until it got close.

Plan and simple, this Guy kept provoking the moose, even AFTER it had turned around. He kept following it. If this was a full grown moose or a bear, would you do the same? I don't think so, so why in this situation is what he did ok? He didn't stand his ground, he kept pushing forward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

Go count something math boy
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Moose are complete sheet heads and don't scare easily. They regularly stomp people to death. He might have been able to get away without killing it but I would have prolly done the same thing. Ground check him.
#TeamPeople

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk