SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default New Hunting Club - Hornbeck, LA

Ok guys, here we go......pull up a chair w/ a cup of coffee, this may take awhile!

As some of you remember, I bidded on a parcel of property west of Hornbeck in lower Sabine Parish. I was not expecting t get it, but the good news is - I did! / bad news is, hunting season is close. I don't expect too much this year other than roughing it, hunting off of portable ladder stands, but I can tolerate it for one year. I was pleasantly surprised when I went look at the property to find a large amount of oaks and creek bottoms, real nice piece totalling 2612 acres. It is west of Hwy 171 off of Hwy 473 and was last know as Hornbeck Hunting Club.

Here's my wish list:

I want to start a club with a group of good guys that can get along and build this into a nice place to be with the family. If you are looking for a place to go for the weekend to get drunk, raise hell, and take your girlfriend while momma is at home w/ the kids, then this is not for you. If you want to join a club where we like to shoot animals, cook a good meal, watch a little LSU football and drink some beer with the family, then we can talk.

I have a couple of old members from the old club that want to continue to hunt there, one of which is a state trooper, so it must be decent. I did see some deer in the middle of the day when I was looking around, along w/ hog and turkey sign. The hills of the property makes it look like Arkansas or Tennessee and I really enjoyed riding the place. It is balanced very well on creek bottoms and pine thickets and should be a good place. The club rules have NOT been finalized, but here are a few sticking points. Rule one is, we want minimal rules. Basically, I don't want to ruin the place by having a bunch of BS and have to carry a notebook to shoot something. Be safe, follow LDWF rules/regs and we are off to a good start. Membership will include entire family at home, as well as kids in military, but not living at home (college also). We are hoping to find some guys that will want to have "club"stands so you are not stuck looking at the same trees with the same squirrles all year long. If it works out, we will come up with a system to draw for stand sites to keep it fair.

We are looking for 15-20 members and depending how many we get will determine how much we pay. I can tell you it will be in the $750/year range and we will need the money in the next two weeks. The property is open for inspection this weekend and I can email a map. I am also finalizing a seperate arrangment for a camping area that will have water, electric, and sewer.

If you are serious about learning more, send me a PM. I will be leaving for a dove hunt on Friday morning in South Tx, but I can email before then so make sure you leave me a email address for the PDF. I will hopefully have enough interest to host a supper or at the least a meeting somewhere so we can finalize plans for this club.

And by the way, when the guy called me, I had to come up with a name right there on the spot. He was filling out the contract to mail to me while I was on the phone, so I had to think fast. I almost named it "SaltyCajun Hunting Club" but didn't want to get sued for copyright stuff! So I followed my Italian heritage and named it Dago Hunting Club!