SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 PM
biglaketiger's Avatar
biglaketiger biglaketiger is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake, La
Posts: 458
Cash: 1,046
Default API

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
Big lake you work through a company? Or do you contract yourself out...it'd be nice travel aroun after school a little bit and make that money...i really just am willing to work about anywhere to get the experience I need before I got take my API's 3 years from now...I'm really glad your an API because I haven't had the opportunity to talk to any of you yet besides my instructor and that not lime talking to someone in the field these days....I also wanted to ask you if you were going the fall conference in Houston next month?
I contract myself out these days. I've been on both sides. I have worked for several inspection companies over the years full time and have also worked for the plant itself. Advantages of being basically self employed is working where I choose and taking as much time off as I want. I set a dollar figure every year on what I want to achieve and once i hit that i'm done. I work on average about 7 months out of the year, sometimes more but that's by choice. I usually take the entire summer off and holidays from thanksgiving through Christmas. I live on Big Lake so all that time off gives me all the time on the water and in the duck blind I can stand. Working TA's on the road is seasonal, most work is from Jan -April then sept - nov...with the occasional chemical plant work in the summer months. As for the summit in houston no i won't make it, i went to the first one a few years back and haven't been back. I'm too busy right now with work anyway, i'm in Belle Chase, La right now then head to port arthur, tx as soon as this one is over. Feel free to ask any questions you may have or if you need some help getting hooked up with some inspection companies. Where do you live?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Hebert's Avatar
Hebert Hebert is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jennings
Posts: 979
Cash: 1,718
Default

I did NDI for 16 years in the military on jets and helicopters ..I'm level 2 in UT,RT,ET,MT,PT ..I got out for about a year and half in 2001 and worked at a lil inspection company out of sulphur doing petrochemical NDE....it was ok but the work is a lot dirtier/dangerous than aviation...it made me decide to go back into the military to finish my 20 yrs lol If I decide to do NDI again it will prob be on the aviation side...If I go petro..I won't do gamma Xray again..I will stick to UT shear wave,MT,PT,ET or API...and of course since I'm retired now it will probably have to be part time

I enjoyed the NDI/NDT field.....its a great field..always in demand cuz its not a common profession... the opportunity's are limitless depending on your motivation to get certifications and you can make some serious cash doing it. your gonna have to work at one of the inspection companies for awhile to get your experience built up to go for your API's...I think it's like 5 yrs of experience to be eligible to take the API's...atleast there was back in 02...not sure though...biglake can help ya on that.....If it was me in your shoes, I'd concentrate on UT shear wave and CWI for those 5 yrs then get your API's .

if I was a young man looking for a career...without a doubt I'd choose NDI again....finish ya school and hit the ground running! Good luck and stay safe.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Hopedale Hustler's Avatar
Hopedale Hustler Hopedale Hustler is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hopedale louisiana
Posts: 2,354
Cash: -89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebert View Post
I did NDI for 16 years in the military on jets and helicopters ..I'm level 2 in UT,RT,ET,MT,PT ..I got out for about a year and half in 2001 and worked at a lil inspection company out of sulphur doing petrochemical NDE....it was ok but the work is a lot dirtier/dangerous than aviation...it made me decide to go back into the military to finish my 20 yrs lol If I decide to do NDI again it will prob be on the aviation side...If I go petro..I won't do gamma Xray again..I will stick to UT shear wave,MT,PT,ET or API...and of course since I'm retired now it will probably have to be part time

I enjoyed the NDI/NDT field.....its a great field..always in demand cuz its not a common profession... the opportunity's are limitless depending on your motivation to get certifications and you can make some serious cash doing it. your gonna have to work at one of the inspection companies for awhile to get your experience built up to go for your API's...I think it's like 5 yrs of experience to be eligible to take the API's...atleast there was back in 02...not sure though...biglake can help ya on that.....If it was me in your shoes, I'd concentrate on UT shear wave and CWI for those 5 yrs then get your API's .

if I was a young man looking for a career...without a doubt I'd choose NDI again....finish ya school and hit the ground running! Good luck and stay safe.

thanks man....thats the plan only now a days they let u get your API's after 3 years field experience and it takes 5 for CWI...but Shearwave is where i want to be until i get to that point..i cant wait to get after it..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map