SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman444 View Post
Guys I am just wondering so help me out. What is the pay scale out there hourly. I am a class A boilermaker/rigger. I am currently a extractor operater with Turner. I work out of the baton rouge office and go from plant to plant as needed. (guaranteed 40) but I am on call 24/7. I have always wondered what the payrates were offshore. I am not ashamed to say I make 29.00 dollars a hour right now. What kind of money is there in going offshore as a boilermaker for example. Just wondering. Help me out guys if you know. Thanks
Depends what you know and what classification you would start out.... If your wanted into production...Your not going to see 29. an hour anytime soon.... but you do work 40 reg and 44 ot...Im not sure what the pay scale is but I know some Lead op only make about 25-26 hr...and have 10 years experience
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 PM
duckman444's Avatar
duckman444 duckman444 is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baton Rouge La
Posts: 440
Cash: 1,154
Default Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Depends what you know and what classification you would start out.... If your wanted into production...Your not going to see 29. an hour anytime soon.... but you do work 40 reg and 44 ot...Im not sure what the pay scale is but I know some Lead op only make about 25-26 hr...and have 10 years experience
Oh I thought they made more than that. I had no clue. Thanks W. I was just wondering cause I am looking for a change sometime in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Matt D's Avatar
Matt D Matt D is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbeville
Posts: 37
Cash: 807
Default

Hourly wages depend on the company. I know the majors pay more money per hour, but as far as I know, most of them have a split week.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-10-2011, 10:14 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman444 View Post
Oh I thought they made more than that. I had no clue. Thanks W. I was just wondering cause I am looking for a change sometime in the future.

There are other fields that make lot more..... some you will not have a set schedule.... depends what you like.... My job I have...I love it....Been doing it 11 years and plan on doing it 22 more.....rigzone.com has all kind of things to look at....surf there and look
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 PM
duckman444's Avatar
duckman444 duckman444 is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baton Rouge La
Posts: 440
Cash: 1,154
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
There are other fields that make lot more..... some you will not have a set schedule.... depends what you like.... My job I have...I love it....Been doing it 11 years and plan on doing it 22 more.....rigzone.com has all kind of things to look at....surf there and look
Thanks W. I will check out that site. It sounds good. Thanks again Bo.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 AM
booyagasha's Avatar
booyagasha booyagasha is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: houma
Posts: 945
Cash: 785
Default hey W and Ray and other offshore PROS'

need some advice...alright, i already have a semester down in instrument tech.
(problem is nearest instrument tech school that i was going to was in Laplace...and i stay in houma,...yeah i made that hour fifteen minute erryday...and it killed me ...with no job)

there's a ptec/production operator degree program in houma, i was thinking since they are somewhat similar( instrument tech and ptec) some if not all my classes will might/hope transfer.

or ....
an electrician degree also in houma, yet, if i go this route, it would more than likely start from scratch, a full 2 years....

so if you were in my predicament, with the options listed above, which would you choose? Im really digging DC ELECTRICITY especially interested in marine electrician. I've met instrument tech's offshore, with and without degrees, and also operators and also marine electricians, and i can say they roughly start and make about the same...although operator job would be alot less demanding, i hear the jobs are alot less abundant also(for production operator.)

im really looking for the long run. Where as instrument tech/operator--i would be primarily either be offshore/plant, electrician, i can actually leave the oilfield itself, and still have many other options available( residential, commercial, automotive, marine, boat, I&e , etc. i will be starting school again in june, so my decision is needed by next Friday(deadline for enrollment)

WHAT YA PROS GOT TO SAY?


PS..regardless of how interested i was at the beginning and how disinterested i was at the end of my first instrument tech semester---i made all A's and B's 3.3333......not bad for someone thats been outta school for a few years....hell i didnt even need to take re-medials... im trying to stream line this , as in taking 15-18 hrs a semester , maybe more.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 AM
MossLake's Avatar
MossLake MossLake is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Carlyss, La
Posts: 522
Cash: 1,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyagasha View Post
need some advice...alright, i already have a semester down in instrument tech.
(problem is nearest instrument tech school that i was going to was in Laplace...and i stay in houma,...yeah i made that hour fifteen minute erryday...and it killed me ...with no job)

there's a ptec/production operator degree program in houma, i was thinking since they are somewhat similar( instrument tech and ptec) some if not all my classes will might/hope transfer.

or ....
an electrician degree also in houma, yet, if i go this route, it would more than likely start from scratch, a full 2 years....

so if you were in my predicament, with the options listed above, which would you choose? Im really digging DC ELECTRICITY especially interested in marine electrician. I've met instrument tech's offshore, with and without degrees, and also operators and also marine electricians, and i can say they roughly start and make about the same...although operator job would be alot less demanding, i hear the jobs are alot less abundant also(for production operator.)

im really looking for the long run. Where as instrument tech/operator--i would be primarily either be offshore/plant, electrician, i can actually leave the oilfield itself, and still have many other options available( residential, commercial, automotive, marine, boat, I&e , etc. i will be starting school again in june, so my decision is needed by next Friday(deadline for enrollment)

WHAT YA PROS GOT TO SAY?


PS..regardless of how interested i was at the beginning and how disinterested i was at the end of my first instrument tech semester---i made all A's and B's 3.3333......not bad for someone thats been outta school for a few years....hell i didnt even need to take re-medials... im trying to stream line this , as in taking 15-18 hrs a semester , maybe more.
Similar but no where near the SAME. Us Tech's can do an operator's job (Prop our feet up and turn a block valve every now and again), but not gonna see an operator do a Tech's job. Right Goose and Yella? Get the tech degree and some Electrical classes and do any of your above mentioned jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 AM
yellalilyslicker's Avatar
yellalilyslicker yellalilyslicker is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hecker
Posts: 206
Cash: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossLake View Post
Similar but no where near the SAME. Us Tech's can do an operator's job (Prop our feet up and turn a block valve every now and again), but not gonna see an operator do a Tech's job. Right Goose and Yella? Get the tech degree and some Electrical classes and do any of your above mentioned jobs.
You can't even do your job without operators help, I had to show you and your counter part how to reset a controller on the compressor little buddy. And by the way if (my) feet are kicked up you get fat bonus check.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 AM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyagasha View Post
need some advice...alright, i already have a semester down in instrument tech.
(problem is nearest instrument tech school that i was going to was in Laplace...and i stay in houma,...yeah i made that hour fifteen minute erryday...and it killed me ...with no job)

there's a ptec/production operator degree program in houma, i was thinking since they are somewhat similar( instrument tech and ptec) some if not all my classes will might/hope transfer.

or ....
an electrician degree also in houma, yet, if i go this route, it would more than likely start from scratch, a full 2 years....

so if you were in my predicament, with the options listed above, which would you choose? Im really digging DC ELECTRICITY especially interested in marine electrician. I've met instrument tech's offshore, with and without degrees, and also operators and also marine electricians, and i can say they roughly start and make about the same...although operator job would be alot less demanding, i hear the jobs are alot less abundant also(for production operator.)

im really looking for the long run. Where as instrument tech/operator--i would be primarily either be offshore/plant, electrician, i can actually leave the oilfield itself, and still have many other options available( residential, commercial, automotive, marine, boat, I&e , etc. i will be starting school again in june, so my decision is needed by next Friday(deadline for enrollment)

WHAT YA PROS GOT TO SAY?


PS..regardless of how interested i was at the beginning and how disinterested i was at the end of my first instrument tech semester---i made all A's and B's 3.3333......not bad for someone thats been outta school for a few years....hell i didnt even need to take re-medials... im trying to stream line this , as in taking 15-18 hrs a semester , maybe more.

With knowledge in electricity and instrument field you can look into Liner Controls.... You can also look into the field im in... Measurement of Gas and Oil specialize in these areas (rosemount,totalflows,scadapak,3095FC,Barton,LACT units,YZ sampling,composite sampling of oil&gas,oil turbines and LOTS OF PAPERWORK)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
LaAngler LaAngler is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 6,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyagasha View Post
need some advice...alright, i already have a semester down in instrument tech.
(problem is nearest instrument tech school that i was going to was in Laplace...and i stay in houma,...yeah i made that hour fifteen minute erryday...and it killed me ...with no job)

there's a ptec/production operator degree program in houma, i was thinking since they are somewhat similar( instrument tech and ptec) some if not all my classes will might/hope transfer.

or ....
an electrician degree also in houma, yet, if i go this route, it would more than likely start from scratch, a full 2 years....
If I were starting my own small business I'd rather have the strong electrical backround. Offshore, the electronics and instrumentation will serve you better. Study PLCs and smart relay logic. Ptech may get you into a MWD job offshore also.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Matt D's Avatar
Matt D Matt D is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbeville
Posts: 37
Cash: 807
Default

I agree with the guys above. I graduated in ITEC with my bachelors and there wasn't much out there for me, so I ended up landing an job as an operator. If I were you I would stick it out, there should be plenty of jobs for you out there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map