SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,929
Default

Reds will not reproduce in freshwater
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,491
Default

When I went fishin' in Lower Laguna Madre, an old salt down there said that the water gets so salty during a dry spring that the trout actually leave. I dunked one of my reels while wading and by the time I got home it was rusted up. That water is like battery acid.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 PM
capt coonassty's Avatar
capt coonassty capt coonassty is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 468
Cash: 1,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
When I went fishin' in Lower Laguna Madre, an old salt down there said that the water gets so salty during a dry spring that the trout actually leave. I dunked one of my reels while wading and by the time I got home it was rusted up. That water is like battery acid.
During droughts its not uncommon to see 50-60ppt due to evaporation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 AM
meaux fishing's Avatar
meaux fishing meaux fishing is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Meaux
Posts: 12,531
Cash: 22,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
During droughts its not uncommon to see 50-60ppt due to evaporation.
I didnt even know that was possible. Is that area not affected by tides or something? I mean the ocean is generally around 35ppt...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: House
Posts: 10,432
Cash: 1,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
During droughts its not uncommon to see 50-60ppt due to evaporation.
I didn't realize that, until I was at a private impounded marsh in Hackberry with several biologist who were evaluating a marsh for a guy who was looking to buy the land. Bass were not growing, but were still there, after Hurricane Francis flooded over the levee's.
Biologist told him that when water evaporates, only the fresh water goes up and the salt will stay. Making it a lot more salty. If the new owner was going to buy the land and use it to fish Bass, he was going to have to fix the levee's and the diesel pump he had there.
Biologist also said too much freshwater and sun will eventually make the vegetation clog up the marsh. Their recommendation was to monitor the salinity and not let it get too high or to low.
The salinity meter was around $1500 if I am remembering correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Dink's Avatar
Dink Dink is offline
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 7,768
Cash: 2,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
When I went fishin' in Lower Laguna Madre, an old salt down there said that the water gets so salty during a dry spring that the trout actually leave. I dunked one of my reels while wading and by the time I got home it was rusted up. That water is like battery acid.
Same thing happened to a curado last summer in Padre. Reel still isn't the same.......
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Reds will not reproduce in freshwater
Maybe that's why the bulls spawn offshore.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map