SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 03-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Redfish

Cash: 714
Default Need Help Replacing Trolling Motor Rope

I have Motor Guide SW-HB 71 lb thrust trolling motor. The rope broke last time out when Seeing Spots got his $9 swim bait caught on a reef and we went in after it. Ended up on the reef and went to pull up the trolling motor and the rope broke.

I bought a replacement and I have been outside for the past hour trying to thread the rope through the designated openings. No success so far. Any suggestions for me? There has to be a trick that someone knows that will make this easier. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

Ewww man. Had same thing happen to me. I couldn't do it so I brought it to superior trolling in Lafayette. And they charged me I wanna say almost $100 to do it! Prob the most rediculous expense I have encountered thus far in my fishin career. I would try to figure it out!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Don't know exactly what you are fifgting but this may help. First staightening out a coat hanger then with electrial tape put a couple wraps around the end of the hanger. Then twist the tape a couple of times (about two inches). Then put a couple of wraps of tape on the end of the rope. Then just pass the hanger through the hole. Hope it helps!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

call 225 928 9644 ask for ken. or pm all star rod on here i think i remember him telling me that he had the same problem b4
Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Redfish

Cash: 714

Success! I finally decided that there was no real trick to this. It was just going to take trial and error, as I am the least mechanical person that I know. The problem was that I had to go down the top hole and make a turn into a very narrow passage to get it to the "hinge" to tie it off. The rope itself was too flimsy to make the turn. Coat hangar wire was too rigid. I finally used some trailer light wire and after 1000 attempts to make the turn, I got lucky. Then the problem was that the wire with electrical tape holding the rope was too bulky to make it back through. So then I threaded a thin metallic wire back through using the trailer wire, and then used this wire to thread the rope through. What a task for a guy who's family would starve if he had to make a living with his hands! Thanks for the help!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Nice job man
Old 03-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Persistence is priceless.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Persistence is priceless.
This is true--- ask "W"
Old 03-27-2010, 11:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 843

I love watching "persistence" at the boat landing
Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPaul View Post
Success! I finally decided that there was no real trick to this. It was just going to take trial and error, as I am the least mechanical person that I know. The problem was that I had to go down the top hole and make a turn into a very narrow passage to get it to the "hinge" to tie it off. The rope itself was too flimsy to make the turn. Coat hangar wire was too rigid. I finally used some trailer light wire and after 1000 attempts to make the turn, I got lucky. Then the problem was that the wire with electrical tape holding the rope was too bulky to make it back through. So then I threaded a thin metallic wire back through using the trailer wire, and then used this wire to thread the rope through. What a task for a guy who's family would starve if he had to make a living with his hands! Thanks for the help!

Sounds like there would've been a trolling motor skidding across my drive way! LOL! Nice patience!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Most task that we do, could be done in a fraction of the time that it took to complete it the first time.