SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Elk hunting in Wyoming

I am going on my first ever elk hunt, and my first trip to Wyoming. I will be looking for advice on everything from clothes, travel so feel free to chime in and give me what you got! I appreciate any first hand knowledge you care to share with me and I know it's early, but at least I can have time to aquire any gear I don't have.

We are going to be in an area around Dubois (sp?) hunting areas 68 as well as maybe some others. We will be rifle hunting first week of October and some of the guys I am going with have been many times before. We are not using a guide, we are going "DIY", and my customer is the one putting this together. He has a brother that lives there and works for BLM that takes vaction from Sept. 15th - Oct. 15 to hunt, so I think we pretty much have a guide.

My early plans are to ship all my gear to his residence, then fly there and rent a 4x4 truck for the week. With the cost of gas, figure I should just about break even and save time by flying.

So there you go, my first question - fly or drive from La.?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I know a few things...I have several buddies go Elk hunting and all the same story...This is why I never want to go

WALK..........WALK..............WALK.............. ...WALK....

Hell with DAT

O Yea....Make sure you pack lots of socks
Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

FLY!! Should get a decent rate by booking this far in advance and if you use expedia,ect they will refund if a lower price is available when you leave.
Get in shape, altitude is a killer and lowlanders catch hell in thin air.

Great idea about shipping gear ahead of time, it will save you $$$.

Start a checklist now of everything you think will be needed, spreadsheet will work great.

Have fun and be careful
Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 652

I am assuming you are flying into Jackson Hole? I would fly and just rent a vehicle.

I have been elk hunting a little further west than where you are going. We would hunt around Bridger- Teton National Forest. We sometimes used horses, sometimes if he had a good number of people we would just pack the elk out ourselves. Start getting yourself in shape. Or working on your endurance.

As far as your rifle, you will be taking shots in excess of 250 yards at a min distance. We always sighted in our rifles at 3" at 100 yds. It seemed to work, we brought plenty of ammo and a extra rifle. I always had light boots for hiking it doesn't seem like much weight but it will make a difference.

Always look up in trees because mountain lions don't make much noise until you are under them. There were several times we would be hiking and pass under a tree and then turn around and look and see one in the tree.

Elk hunting is one of the biggest things I missed about living on the left coast. You should have a blast. Bring a camera because it is some of the most beautiful country you can imagine.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

I have been elk hunting 5 or 6 times over the last 10 years. We go around Weston, CO. I went Antelope/Muley hunting in Wyoming this past fall. It was a blast. We went to Gillette, WY. They have an airport there also so thats where I flew into. Like tumbleweed said, get in shape and ready for some walking. Make sure your footwear is properly broken in to avoid blisters. And I would fly. I booked a flight to Wyoming a week before we left and it costs me about $700. I would look at booking something asap to get a better rate. Pack alot of warm clothes but the way the weather works out there dont dress too heavy. By time the sun comes up, it has warmed about 20 degrees so you will be shedding clothes. A good cow call is good to have also.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 958

Never been elk hunting but I've done alot of hiking in the mountains and you want to make sure whatever boots you will be wearing are very broken in way before you head out there. Also, buy you some liner socks to wear under your wool socks, they're a lifesaver. You should pack enough socks that you have at least 3 pairs of dry socks at all times because you may need to change them a few times throughout the day. Anytime ya'll stop for a break, take off your boots to let your feet air out. Take very good care of your feet cuz if they get to hurting you will be miserable the rest of the time.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379

After mule deer hunting in UT this year at an altitude of 9500', here is my advice. Loose the gut!!! Start exercising right now!! Keep your feet dry! Bring your own oxygen tank!!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Thanks guys, I am taking all this in! Looked at flights, seems like I will fly out of BR, then rent truck. Flying out of Houston direct would save me $100, but after parking and fuel its a wash. The wife can drive me to BR and I not worry about vehicle. Round trip is only $520 right now, so I will probably book it soon.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

Like longside said, your feet are most important thing. I wore a pair of boots that didn't fit right a while back elk hunting. I like to do alot more walking than people normally do and developed some huge blisters. I was miserable the entire trip.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,383

Have not been hunting in Wyoming but have been in the high altitude in Colorado hiking. I consider myself in good shape. Being in shape does help regarding the body muscle endurance and strength but, as far as, altitude acclimation you can only due that when you get there. It is best to start acclimation at roughly 8,000 ft. or above and can take at minimum two to three days. One of the most important things to remember in high altitude HYDRATE(water) and continue to hydrate.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,308

I went and did a job in Grand Coteau one time. Took me at least a day and a half to get used to the high altitude. It was just brutal!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:21 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
I went and did a job in Grand Coteau one time. Took me at least a day and a half to get used to the high altitude. It was just brutal!!!

ROFLMAO
Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I used to spend a good bit of time in CO and the altitude and lack of humidity is hard on the nostrils. Get ready for nose bleeds after about 36 hrs of being there. Take something better than John Wayne tp with ya to treat this or ye ole snout will be committing suicide to end it's pain before you get to come home!