SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738
Default Any truck drivers?

I am considering getting my CDL wanted to hear from anyone in the field. I hear there is alot of oilfield companys hiring drivers right now.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

I have a few friends that do long haul and a BIL that just retired from driving for wal mart. The 2 things they all say is, to make the big $$$ you have to drive long haul and That it's not for a married man.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

I've had a CDL since 05 and in this short time the regulations and laws have gotten so strict it's not fun driving anymore. I work for RSC and I have a perfect driving record but the pressure from my job and dot is insane. I tried the over the road when I first started driving and wasn't for my young family. My sisters boyfriend just got his last month. He lost his job Thursday afternoon and by Friday morning at 9:00 he had a job paying more. That's a tough decision but if you do KEEP A CLEAN DRIVING RECORD. It's priceless.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I am considering getting my CDL wanted to hear from anyone in the field. I hear there is alot of oilfield companys hiring drivers right now.

I've had mine since 97. Lots of oilfield work right now but most of them want vaccum experience. Always CDL work though, just may take you a little time to find one you like. Really only use mine now for hauling rice during harvest time but its something I can always fall back on. Not sure how they do driving tests now, use to have to use your own truck unless you were at a school.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlincecum View Post
I've had mine since 97. Lots of oilfield work right now but most of them want vaccum experience. Always CDL work though, just may take you a little time to find one you like. Really only use mine now for hauling rice during harvest time but its something I can always fall back on. Not sure how they do driving tests now, use to have to use your own truck unless you were at a school.
If I end up doing it I would go to the tech college in crowley,they provide the truck. Thanks for the info
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Great White

Going on a little over 2 months of job hunting with no luck. Decided to bite the bullet and start classes to get my CDL next week. Any words of advise for someone new to the trucking industry is highly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

I run my family's trucking company. We haul fuel to bulk plants, shrimp boats, fuel docks, convenient stores, truck stops, etc. My father is also in partnership in a vacuum trucking company. There is a high demand for drivers in the industry and it pays pretty well. Work can be very hectic at times though. Like right now, there is no power at the refinery I'm pulling from. Got 3 drivers sitting in the parking lot, been sitting there for 2 hours, waiting for it to open back up. Alot of oilfield people want there stuff that day even if they called at 12pm and they are in Houma. Lot of last minute stuff comes up. Get ready for that. Sometimes you will sit around for 2-3 days with nothing to do then next thing u know its balls to the wall for a month. Make sure you get all your endorsements. Haz Mat, Tanker, etc. Most companies want experience drivers, especially with tractor/tanker or vacuum trailers Good luck man. You get your CDL and all your endorsements let me know, and I'll help u find something.

Last edited by specktator; 08-09-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

keep your eyes peeled for nice seat covers!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I run my family's trucking company. We haul fuel to bulk plants, shrimp boats, fuel docks, convenient stores, truck stops, etc. My father is also in partnership in a vacuum trucking company. There is a high demand for drivers in the industry and it pays pretty well. Work can be very hectic at times though. Like right now, there is no power at the refinery I'm pulling from. Got 3 drivers sitting in the parking lot, been sitting there for 2 hours, waiting for it to open back up. Alot of oilfield people want there stuff that day even if they called at 12pm and they are in Houma. Lot of last minute stuff comes up. Get ready for that. Sometimes you will sit around for 2-3 days with nothing to do then next thing u know its balls to the wall for a month. Make sure you get all your endorsements. Haz Mat, Tanker, etc. Most companies want experience drivers, especially with tractor/tanker of vacuum trailers Good luck man. You get your CDL and all your endorsements let me know, and I'll help u find something.
That is alot of good info. I start my training next week,I will get with you when I get everything wrapped up. Thanks bro! Just like every other line of work,you gotta start at the bottom to land the good jobs.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Need a cdl to hot shots? Home every night
Old 08-09-2011, 12:57 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,052

good luck too you......always scary starting something new
Old 08-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Need a cdl to hot shots? Home every night
No you don't need a cdl to hot shot. To make decent money hot shotting you have to have your own truck. I don't have the money to buy a new truck. My uncle hot shot's for a living. He is not home every night if you want the hauls that pay good. Home every night is not a problem for me at this point,I just want to work!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

do you have any oilfield experience montauk?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Flounder

Cash: 692

Heard on the news that the Feds are considering making all farmers who drive tractors and trucks get CDLs even if they are on private property or farmland.
When is it gonna end?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
do you have any oilfield experience montauk?
Negative....been working on outboards and vehicles my entire adult life. I must have applied for 30 oilfield jobs,no dice. I understand company's want to hire experienced hands,but even for a entry level job requires a year experience. How is someone going to gain experience?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:39 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Keep your head up. Best advice I can give you about driving the bigger trucks is pay attention. Cuz I can promise you 90% of the people around you aren't. Take your time and don't force it. The more you do it the better you will get, trying to grow up too fast will just get you in trouble.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlincecum View Post
Keep your head up. Best advice I can give you about driving the bigger trucks is pay attention. Cuz I can promise you 90% of the people around you aren't. Take your time and don't force it. The more you do it the better you will get, trying to grow up too fast will just get you in trouble.
Trust me,I realize practice makes perfect. No doubt about the idiot drivers out there,but it is what it is. Thanks for the words of wisdom.