SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948
Default Motor Problem

Alright so I've been working on my pawpaw's boat for about a month now, with alot of help from my dad and bro. Biggest problem with the motor, other than the fact that it is 16 years old and hasn't been maintained the way it needs to be, was a bad starter. So, I got the starter rebuilt. Ever since, the boat has started great--except for two instances on the water. So, now i'm trying to figure out what the problem could be. The first time it seemed like it just wasn't getting gas, because after several attempts to start it, it finally did--after about 30 or 45 minutes that is. But the second time, couldn't get it to start until after I had pulled it out of the water. Anyone got any ideas or experience with this problem? The motor is a 1995 Evinrude 25 hp.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Wow.....could be any of several things.

Bad/wrong spark plugs, dirty carb, fuel pump/filter, fuel lines. Could be the carb jets setting need adjusting.

When it does not start..... have you tied giving it a shot of starter fluid? Is the fuel bulb full? Have you pulled the spark plug to see what it looks like?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Flounder

Cash: 838

I have a 91 evinrude that did the same thing, ran some seafoam through it and changed the plugs and I didnt have any problems after that
Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 PM
King Mackeral

In all honesty Gerald, we've thought of all those. Haven't really got into it and checked it out yet (haven't had time with work), but I was kind of hoping someone would say something along those lines, so atleast it would appear we are on the right track. Fuel system I think needs to be replaced, its old as hell, and the gas can in this boat is wack, it has no vent. Didn't even know they made gas cans like that.

Might have to try that Cajun. Other than the 2 times that it didn't want to start, boat has ran fine. Starts up every other time like a charm.

Last edited by Smalls; 05-31-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: wanted to
Old 05-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,137

Are you sure there is no air getting in the fuel lines and is the fuel suction line inside the fuel tank good.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:53 PM
King Mackeral

Yeah, like I said Chaf, I think alot of the issue is with the fuel system. 16 years old, can't even disconnect the damn thing from the motor without breaking it, so I think that may just need an entire overhaul. From the sounds of it, everyone is having the same though (fuel system) in one way or another, so that may just be the route i need to go. Plus a spark plug change.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

Had a similar problem with mine. Turned out the fuel pump diaphragm had a hole in it. Could crank it first thing and would run fine. As soon as I shut it off to fish it would not restart and the bulb was not hard. When I would prime it , it was actually flooding the engine through the fuel pump. I had replaced the fuel line twice because of that. Thinking it was leaks in the line and connections. The fuel pump was letting air back in while fishing. Hope that helps.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM
King Mackeral

Sounds exactly like what's been goin on with our boat, the running fine, flooding when I pump the bulb, everything....

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

It's easy to do. If the motor is a few years old I would change it first. Only a few dollars for the gaskets and diaphragm. Go to boats.net. Thats where I get my parts.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 PM
King Mackeral

Definitely more than a few, its a 95 model.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Those older small motors need 2 things to run, fuel & fire. Fire is easy to check. Fuel....well if it's been setting up start at the carb with a GOOD cleaning or just go ahead with a new carb kit, new hose & bulb & check the connections. Hose & connections won't break the bank & all that probably needs changing if it's several years old anyway. Also check vent on tank. One other thing if fire is weak check the fields(magneto) under flywheel & clean them with light Emory cloth.