SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 679
Default New to Saltwater - Any tips?

Hey folks, I am new to saltwater fishing and was hoping for some pointers on finding Specks on Prien Lake/Lake Charles. I grew up bass fishing the marsh so this is very new to me.

I've been out on the lake a few days this week and found some small reds and flounder in the marshy areas biting on the small char Gulp shrimp. I can't find specks though.

I bought one of the "Top Spot" maps that show fishing areas, and that is primarily where I've been. I've hit the marshy bend, haymark marsh, and rocks across from LDL mainly.

Should I find specks in the same areas as reds? I have been watching for bird action, but don't see it or don't know it when I do.

Not Looking for a handout, just maybe some tips on how to locate specks. My 8 year old daughter sure is questioning her daddy's skills right now!! LOL

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

don't do it, it is more addictive than crack
Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,851

Try fishing a few of the points around the Port of Lake Charles. Fish the drop offs.... You have to find what depth the fish are holding.

Keep changing up until you find them.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Salinity is down pretty bad right now. The farther south you go the better off you are. I'd say from Texaco cut south. Fish rocks along the channel and cuts into big lake and west cove. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks for the tips! I forgot to add I'm fishing from a 15' Aluminum with a 25 horse so I'm trying to stay in "safe" waters. I'll try and work my way down to the mouth of Big Lake.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396

i would keep reading fishing reports and see what people and where they are being caught on. but what works one day doesnt always work the next day. bring lots of colors and different style baits. if you really wanna get serious start a log book. what conditions are and where you caught the fish, tide, time, depth, presentation and so forth. its all trial and error. im hopin to hit prien tomorrow and thursday for my first trip there
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Launch in west cove and run s bank to channel protected from a wind lots or reds on s bank s entrance to cove holding trout west pass be ur best bets till u learn how to find reefs but it's getting so hot their in transition to channel now they pretty thick in channel near entrances drop offs shell etc. if u ever need guide gimme call and well get u started on learning this lake. Lake can be really easy at times when birds and bait popping but other times if you don't know what to look 4 and learn the tides etc it'll eat ur lunch
Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWLA-Dave View Post
Hey folks, I am new to saltwater fishing and was hoping for some pointers on finding Specks on Prien Lake/Lake Charles. I grew up bass fishing the marsh so this is very new to me.

I've been out on the lake a few days this week and found some small reds and flounder in the marshy areas biting on the small char Gulp shrimp. I can't find specks though.

I bought one of the "Top Spot" maps that show fishing areas, and that is primarily where I've been. I've hit the marshy bend, haymark marsh, and rocks across from LDL mainly.

Should I find specks in the same areas as reds? I have been watching for bird action, but don't see it or don't know it when I do.

Not Looking for a handout, just maybe some tips on how to locate specks. My 8 year old daughter sure is questioning her daddy's skills right now!! LOL

Thanks
Dave

As Jared stated, west cove your best shot for small boat. North or south banks are good and protected to an extent. Hog island also a protected launch. Live bait on channel your best bet this time of year. Good luck

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

I have been fishing Prien the past month. I have been catching flounder and croaker on chart gulp in 12 foot of water off points in the channel. Reds have been up againt the bank early and then on the drop offs. The reds have been on gulp and tidal surge split tails both in chart. I just started catching specs and they have been on the drop offs under lady fish.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks for all the detail guys! Having fished Lacassine/Burns all my life it's hard for me to remember there is water deeper than 2 feet.....

I'm gonna try it tomorrow, hit a shallow marshy area early then move up around the port/Conoco docks to look for specks. I think I have all the lures/colors mentioned. If not, I can improvise.

When I get a day of fishing without my little one I may go explore West side of Big Lake.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Sand Trout

JAdams, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that later in the year. A good guided trip would definitely boost my learning curve.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

ESP from him