SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,338
Cheers public marsh huntin?

i've always hunted private lands but never near the marshes not lookin for secret spot but where are there public marshes at between lake charles and VB like how do you know if its leased or what???
Old 09-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post
i've always hunted private lands but never near the marshes not lookin for secret spot but where are there public marshes at between lake charles and VB like how do you know if its leased or what???
If its not a refuge.....it's private
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
If its not a refuge.....it's private
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

That's a fact. If not a refuge, you're trespassing. Big money has taken up all the prime land and hunting is becoming a rich mans sport.

Sent from Skyrocket 2 via Tapatalk. Fish Hard
Old 09-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 606

There is now a state law that has been around for a number of years that, BY STATE LAW, 100% of the state is posted, regardless of having a sign or not. Therefore there is no argument of 'it doesn't have a posted sign'. Also some parishes have parish ordinances to the same effect, that 100% of the parish is posted by law. These just predated the state law.

Some big timber companies, mostly in N. La, used to allow 'open range', and allowed people to graze their cattle in the woods, or hunt and fish on their property without a permit or lease. As said above, that policy is long since dead and they are all now covered by the state law.

One's only chance to hunt on 'public land' is in a wildlife management area, be it state, federal or local.

Also, UNKNOWN to a lot of people, in some parishes, such as Acadia, particularly populated ones, there are 'rifled-round' ordinances, that make it illegal to fire any weapon (other than on a rifle range of course) that has rifling. That only leaves smooth bore shotguns or some black powder guns being legal. And YES, this applies to even a 22 and all pistols or such.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Some school boards.....for sure Terrbonne and Lafourche own marsh that people hunt, how do you find them....IDK
Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

I will be 47 in November and from the time I was 17, timber companies have been leasing land to the benefit of the deer. Miami,vermilion,ect, have been in the land business longer than I have been alive. Your question sounds like you are new to hunting and leasing land. Google is your friend, as is the local ducks unlimited and delta waterfowl chapter.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsla View Post
Also, UNKNOWN to a lot of people, in some parishes, such as Acadia, particularly populated ones, there are 'rifled-round' ordinances, that make it illegal to fire any weapon (other than on a rifle range of course) that has rifling. That only leaves smooth bore shotguns or some black powder guns being legal. And YES, this applies to even a 22 and all pistols or such.

Never heard of this before. Not calling you out, just curious where did you find out about this?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4x43732 View Post
Never heard of this before. Not calling you out, just curious where did you find out about this?
For years there was a professionally painted 3'x3' sign on the fenceline along Highway 98 citing the ordinance number and 'in quotes', the text of the ordinance about 'rifled rounds'. We took it to be an authentic representation.

Some time later, when a sheriff's deputy visited the neighborhood looking for information and answering a complaint about someone shooting near their house, we had the occasion to ask the deputy about it. He confirmed the rifled round information, and further said that people could not shoot any 'explosive driven' gun within 300 feet of any residence. Searching for the ordinance online just now only revealed the 300 foot restriction. Perhaps it was repealed.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Damn i gotta lend mine to rudy. Can you shoot your dads?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Haha that was meant to be a text to someone
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsla View Post

Not sure on which is which but in Cameron and Vermilion there are(were) laws on the books from way back that make it illegal to shoot any rifle in one parish and illegal to shoot a rifle larger than a .22 caliber or so I was told. They may have been changed in the last few years.

Warren
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Damn i gotta lend mine to rudy. Can you shoot your dads?
Lol
Old 09-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,338

i've been hunting ducks on private land not far from my house for seven years now but have never marsh hunted everyone talks about it so i would like to try it that's why i asked but it looks like it wont happen for a while especially considering i cant find any leases with openings, but i'm pretty sure that's normal, but thanx for the info guys much appriciated! also if yall know of a good but not so expensive taxidermist that would be cool to, not too far from eunice, i have a goose and a mallard i still need to get done!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Sabine and Laccasine