SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Ok, I found them for $85 also... may buy a few for hogs and also try to catch some yoties after winter

To get rid of Yotes get a piece of memory foam mattress, cut it into 1 1/2" minimum square chunks, put it in a pan and pour bacon grease, old cooking oil, mix in some guts from some ducks or deer and put it where the yotes are. They will eat it, get a stomach obstruction and not be able to digest anything and eventually die.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
To get rid of dogs, cats, coyotes, bears, hawks, buzzards, etc. get a piece of memory foam mattress, cut it into 1 1/2" minimum square chunks, put it in a pan and pour bacon grease, old cooking oil, mix in some guts from some ducks or deer and put it where the yotes are. They will eat it, get a stomach obstruction and not be able to digest anything and eventually die.
fixed it

There is/was a guy in Richland Parish that got in big trouble for doing something similar. He was the land manager for a hunting club, and the pres of the hunting club told him to get rid of the yotes. Guy went and got some Temik and placed it on roadkill or hotdog or something can't remember really but ended up killing hawks and lots of other animals got hit hard because of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act See if I can find the article, but indirect killing ain't cool. Its perfectly legal to sit out there at night with night vision goggles and suppressed rifles and go to town on them

edit: here you go, 3 years no hunting and $5k fine

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/34784
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
I'm so sick of people always using the "its all about the money" stick. Yeah, part of it is money, ever heard the saying "money makes the world go round". I hate it, but unfortunately, the statement is true. But to constantly argue that everything a government agency does is about money is just plain BS. Do they see the potential to increase license sales through this? Sure. Is that all this is about? No. There are several agencies that are trying hard to put a foot down on these hogs. At one time, there was a push by one agency to provide financial assistance to landowners to help control hogs. Ever think that by selling licenses, maybe they could turn around and put that money towards controlling hogs? Or some other form of wildlife management?

If it was about money, there would have been licenses for hog trapping years ago because of how big a nuisance they are.

Woohooo. Sorry bout that, rant over. Just steams me up a little when people are constantly bashing the LDWF. Sometimes I think people don't realize that if we didn't have wildlife agencies, we wouldn't have a wildlife resource like we do. Go back 60 to 80 years ago, and if no wildlife agencies are established and wildlife laws and harvests and licenses aren't established, we would have no ducks, turkeys, or white-tailed deer today. Worst thing i've ever heard is someone say "I'm not gonna risk my life for a bird" in regard to what Wildlife Agents do.

Sorry, second rant over.
Dang man, didn't mean to strike a nerve with you. As far as bashing LDWF, that's not what I was doing. I'm all about game laws. Ask anyone on this site that knows me and they can attest to that. What bothers me about the whole licensing issue for hogs is that they are a HUGE problem. Which I'm sure you already know. When you have something constantly destroying your property, food plots, feeders, gardens, crops and everything else they come in contact with. Not to mention how much they breed. I guess what I'm trying to say is why should people have to buy a license to protect their property from a nuiasance?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
fixed it

There is/was a guy in Richland Parish that got in big trouble for doing something similar. He was the land manager for a hunting club, and the pres of the hunting club told him to get rid of the yotes. Guy went and got some Temik and placed it on roadkill or hotdog or something can't remember really but ended up killing hawks and lots of other animals got hit hard because of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act See if I can find the article, but indirect killing ain't cool. Its perfectly legal to sit out there at night with night vision goggles and suppressed rifles and go to town on them

edit: here you go, 3 years no hunting and $5k fine

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/34784
I've never done but they had a few cattle farmers in Raceland that did. They would put it out late in the evening and pick it up really early. They claimed the only thing that messed with it was the yotes.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Dang man, didn't mean to strike a nerve with you. As far as bashing LDWF, that's not what I was doing. I'm all about game laws. Ask anyone on this site that knows me and they can attest to that. What bothers me about the whole licensing issue for hogs is that they are a HUGE problem. Which I'm sure you already know. When you have something constantly destroying your property, food plots, feeders, gardens, crops and everything else they come in contact with. Not to mention how much they breed. I guess what I'm trying to say is why should people have to buy a license to protect their property from a nuiasance?

Makes WAY more sense now that you put it that way, and I completely agree. But it seems to me that in that case, licensing should only apply to recreational hunters/trappers, not to people trapping on their own land to protect their land. Not sure how that distinction would be made other than to say you have to own land in order to be exempt from licensing. I must say, I haven't read the hog regulations, but that would seem the logical route to me.