SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505
Default First Trip to the Rock

Weedeater and myself made our first trip to Rockerfeller Refuge yesterday. The morning started off with after launching the boat and trying to get on plane, I realized that we was going to have to reload the boat. I had opened the plate the covers the vent on my tunnel more than what it had been and we couldn't do more than an idle because of blowing out. So we reloaded the boat and fixed the problem. Relaunched the boat and off we went. We turned in the canal where the cement weirs are at and because of the no wake sign being on only one side of the canal and being at an angle away facing away from you we was greeted by some not so happy people. After I apologized we continued to the Mud Hole weirs. There wasn't quiet as many boats there as the Cement weirs. Weedeater threw a few times and caught us some bait and off to find some reds. We made a stop at the LSU Weirs where there was only one boat. We tried our luck there but to no avail. So we decided to make a run to see the Gulf. Nothing spectacular but rough nasty water. We decided to make a run in a canal we saw on the way from the LSU weirs. Long story short after we idled a ways in their I decided to get on plane just in time to round the corner where there's another set of weirs by the LSU Weirs. After we almost jumped the weirs and ruined our drawers we turned around and went to try the Cement Weirs. After weedeater caught about 3/4 of our limit of shrimp and me cleaning the fish out I took over the cast net and finished the off limit. This was with a 3 1/2' foot net because someone said they was bringing theirs also so I just grabbed my small cast net. I wanted a few crabs so we went back to the Mud Hole because that morning they was catching crabs everywhere when caught our shrimp. The shrimp was good gumbo or stew sized nothing big. We tried on the outside of the weirs and nothing. We moved to the inside of the weirs and they seemed to be only biting in front of the weirs. After we finally was able to get us a spot on the weirs we kept 2 1/2 dozen crabs. We had a really good time and met a lot if nice people. Thanks to Acearcher for the tips and advice. The only question we have is where is some good places to go catch some reds and a guy told us how to rig up to catch some gars. Where is a good place to do that at also? Neither of us has done that but would like to try it for the heck of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

When you get to the t from the launch take a right instead of a left....follow the canal down to where you see two water control structures. You can pass through the one of the left whice is the bertrand canal. Last time I fished there caught reds on the shorelines past the bertrand down to where the game warden station is. Gulp on bottom has always worked for me. You can also fish the deep lake canals whice is the right by the mud hole. Look on google maps you will se the canals. They are shallow at the mouths but get deep the father back you go. I have caught specks and flounder in these canals at times.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,679

How is the boat launch over they ? Any trouble launching retreiving the boat ?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by haoward View Post
How is the boat launch over they ? Any trouble launching retreiving the boat ?
They just redid the launches and no problem with the launch. But there's signs everywhere with no parking.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

You beat me to the post so I will just comment on yours.

I really enjoyed the time down there and seeing some differnt sites and meeting some nice people which were all very nice and willing to share info but I have got to admit that as nice as the launch and parking area are it was FULL OF FRIGIN IDIOTS and to add to Mercs comment about the no wake area, they really do need to put more signs and place them where you can see them.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Been seeing a bunch of big gars rolling in big lake and west cove on the reefs
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
They just redid the launches and no problem with the launch. But there's signs everywhere with no parking.

i took the no parking signs to mean, that you should not park any closer to the water than where they were... maybe i read them wrong.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
i took the no parking signs to mean, that you should not park any closer to the water than where they were... maybe i read them wrong.
That would make sense. It was weedeater parking the truck, so it may have been obvious what it meant. He's not the sharpest tack around.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
That would make sense. It was weedeater parking the truck, so it may have been obvious what it meant. He's not the sharpest tack around.

lol.... okay roger that
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 925

The no parking signs are just in front of the launches. It's to keep the backup area free of vehicles.