SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Herbicide name is "Habitat".
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Herbicide name is "Habitat".
Thanks, that is Imazapyr. When you see rights-of ways completely brown and nothing growing there, that is what is used, it has a good bit of soil activity and doesn't discriminate on what it kills, but is a good herbicide on certain projects If you read the labels on where to and where not to use it, there aren't many places to use it
Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 888

Does habitat have an aquatic label? It is a soil steralent and kill all desirable plants. be careful for what you wish for. This small pond could erode out over years with out any vegetation to hold the marsh in place. this small pond can soon become a big pond. I am not against Herbicides either, since I make a living selling them, but be careful and please follow the label.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by leblanc272 View Post
Does habitat have an aquatic label? It is a soil steralent and kill all desirable plants. be careful for what you wish for. This small pond could erode out over years with out any vegetation to hold the marsh in place. this small pond can soon become a big pond. I am not against Herbicides either, since I make a living selling them, but be careful and please follow the label.
Its leased property, so what happens after duck season isn't a big deal (being sarcastic of course)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Its leased property, so what happens after duck season isn't a big deal (being sarcastic of course)
There are Two Options; kill what you have to kill in order to continue using the Leased Property (paying exorbitant prices) OR let it revert to a Jungle. Those are the only options available for 99% of the marsh areas we hunt. Ducks use the marsh primarily to rest not eat so having open areas inside of the marsh would seem more beneficial than grown over floaton with no beneficial use,IMO.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Has anyone ever tried hiring someone with a marsh buggy to go in and scrape the plants up in the area you want the hole? Seems it would make a full season at least.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

We have a marsh and cattails have been a big problem over the past 13 years. We spray every year and have tried different chemical formulations throughout the years with different active ingredients. I have found some glyphosate formulations work pretty darn good.... Rodeo, Aquamaster and Touchdown work well. I have tried imazamox with an aquatic surfactant and got nice results as well... I think we used Clearcast. Used Habitat as well and got nice results but it doesn't do well on duckweed and watermeal. What we find works is an initial application of Habitat and then manage with glyphosate and 2,4-D and we have been managing our marsh like this for 3 years...going on 4 and it looks nice.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Has anyone ever tried hiring someone with a marsh buggy to go in and scrape the plants up in the area you want the hole? Seems it would make a full season at least.
Same cost or more than spraying with no residual.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

Quote:
cost way more than spraying. not to mention the permits required to dig in the marsh.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcajun View Post
We have a marsh and cattails have been a big problem over the past 13 years. We spray every year and have tried different chemical formulations throughout the years with different active ingredients. I have found some glyphosate formulations work pretty darn good.... Rodeo, Aquamaster and Touchdown work well. I have tried imazamox with an aquatic surfactant and got nice results as well... I think we used Clearcast. Used Habitat as well and got nice results but it doesn't do well on duckweed and watermeal. What we find works is an initial application of Habitat and then manage with glyphosate and 2,4-D and we have been managing our marsh like this for 3 years...going on 4 and it looks nice.
But you aren't trying to kill duckweed though right?
Glyphosate is one of the 'safer' chemicals to use as long as what brand you are using is wetland approved. It will topkill many of those plants but not likely to kill the extensive rhizomes of plants like cattails and sawgrass. It may be a pain to apply every year, but other more desirable plants can grow in the voided area. And its relatively inexpensive as there are many generics to choose from so may make it more cost effective. Imazapyr is great in certain applications, but its nondiscriminant in what it kills and keeps on killing. Imazapyr is often what you see used when an area is clearcut and along rights-of way when its prime growing season and everything is green except those areas
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
cost way more than spraying. not to mention the permits required to dig in the marsh.
You don't need permits to clean ponds or ditches. No land company will allow new areas to be created, ie; new ditches,ponds,levees.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
I know it's not practical, and I don't even hunt the marsh, but was just curious if anyone had done it.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

Correct.... not trying to kill duckweed. When you get all of the cattails out and if there is some duckweed there, it seems to multiply pretty fast.... but other herbicides work well on duckweed and we have gotten great control with other products. Agree, glyphosate is a relatively safe chemical, in the right formulation.... and that is why we pretty much manage our marsh with it now that we have gotten it under control.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcajun View Post
Correct.... not trying to kill duckweed. When you get all of the cattails out and if there is some duckweed there, it seems to multiply pretty fast.... but other herbicides work well on duckweed and we have gotten great control with other products. Agree, glyphosate is a relatively safe chemical, in the right formulation.... and that is why we pretty much manage our marsh with it now that we have gotten it under control.

Duckweed is like crack to gadwalls
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
I know it's not practical, and I don't even hunt the marsh, but was just curious if anyone had done it.
A guy I work with does it every year in their marsh.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 673

Looking at spraying some imazapyr soon along some mudboat runs. Casey, how has the residual effect of the spray you used at your place been? Checked it lately?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,227

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronHunter View Post
Looking at spraying some imazapyr soon along some mudboat runs. Casey, how has the residual effect of the spray you used at your place been? Checked it lately?
No cat tails they are done and did not come back. Salvina (spelling) is hurting me right now. I'm spraying it, I have it boomed off... Just trying to fight the fight.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I had a lease off of Bayou Penchant south of Amelia. We were spending twice the cost of the lease every year on spraying. It got to the point for me that it wasn't worth while to continue. Additionally, every time we wanted to do anything we had to nearly beg the land owner to allow us to do it. We really needed to impound some of the ponds and install wiers etc. I had enough and got out of the lease. I wish I would have owned the property we had or had more controll of it. It could have been really nice with the proper management and improvements. We had 5 members and only two of us did the work. The others would show up hunting season and want to hunt. Nope, never going through that again unless I own the property. I'd rather hunt the Wax or the Delta.