SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266
Default Outboard Motor Title?

I'm being told that I should have a title for my motor, I was not aware of this and have come up with nothing showing this in my searches. The only thing I have seen is on the boat application form, below the title of the form it says Boat (eff. 8/2009); Outboard Motors (eff. 5/2011). Other than that, I haven't seen any regs on this.

Can someone point this out for me, otherwise I will call the dwf or DMV tomorrow.

I have title on trailer and hull, the motor was made and bought before the apparent requirement went into place.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Flounder

Cash: 604

I was told that the only time you need to title a motor was when you purchase from a dealer, not from individuals. Dmv wont be able to help you with that info , need to contact dwlf. The wonderful gov came up with that to collect MORE TAXES ,,, SUPPRISED??
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Express5 is correct. The trailer title is through DMV, and only for the value of the trailer. A couple years ago, when I bought my boat used, the owner only had a title for the boat, he bought it new, it showed the motor on it. When I renewed, I got a title for the boat and a title for the motor, told it would help if I sold it. I filled out the forms and mailed them in with payment, got it back in less that two weeks. Do not let people scare you about the taxes, it does not go off the value of your boat, it goes by the lenght of your boat, and motor was a flat fee, if I remember correctly. My 20 foot boat and motor was less than a $100 bucks, I think.

Do your self a favor and contact LDWF in Lake Charles tomorrow, the girl there was very helpful, do not call Baton Rouge, that lady was as rude as they come and not very helpful, but everything gets mailed to BR.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Redfish

Cash: 861

Is that somebody from Texas telling you that? Texas titles their motors, but not Louisiana.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
Is that somebody from Texas telling you that? Texas titles their motors, but not Louisiana.

Wanna bet? It is an option here in good ol' La. and will definitely help you with the resale of a used boat or possibly just the motor. I have 3 titles: trailer from DMV, boat from LDWF, and motor from LDWF. Go to the LDWF website, it's there.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Tripletail

Not trying to beat this up, just trying to help educate everyone on how it works now. Just rechecked, and for my 20 foot boat, purchased used, the boat registration was $37, boat title was $26, and motor title was $26, less than a $100.

It makes it alot easier to sell my boat later if I want to upgrade in the future, or if I want to repower my boat, makes it alot easier to just sell my motor to someone who may have to finance either way.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OFwlKlr View Post
Not trying to beat this up, just trying to help educate everyone on how it works now. Just rechecked, and for my 20 foot boat, purchased used, the boat registration was $37, boat title was $26, and motor title was $26, less than a $100.

It makes it alot easier to sell my boat later if I want to upgrade in the future, or if I want to repower my boat, makes it alot easier to just sell my motor to someone who may have to finance either way.
I see it is an option, but am I required to? I wouldn't think the deal would have been possible from the dealer to my finance company
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
Yes
Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I see it is an option, but am I required to? I wouldn't think the deal would have been possible from the dealer to my finance company

Goooh, did some checking to refresh my memory. If you bought your boat new with the motor you should have gotten a title with an attached original (MSO) Manufacturers Statement of Orgin for the motor from the dealer or lien holder if financed. This will be signed and given to the person buying your boat, and then it is their responsibility to have registration transferred, and apply for new boat and motor title.

LDWF website lists 3 things needed to apply for a title for boat and motor: Title and application form, Bill of Sale, and original MSO for motor.

Hope this helps, if you need more info. pm me.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OFwlKlr View Post
Goooh, did some checking to refresh my memory. If you bought your boat new with the motor you should have gotten a title with an attached original (MSO) Manufacturers Statement of Orgin for the motor from the dealer or lien holder if financed. This will be signed and given to the person buying your boat, and then it is their responsibility to have registration transferred, and apply for new boat and motor title.

LDWF website lists 3 things needed to apply for a title for boat and motor: Title and application form, Bill of Sale, and original MSO for motor.

Hope this helps, if you need more info. pm me.
Thanks, that helps out.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Redfish

If he is from Texas and Louisiana doesn't 'require' a title on the motor, then just tell him that Texas has a form he needs to fill out. He can print off their website or pickup from an office. It is specifically for buying motors from out of state that doesn't require titles. You both sign it and he attaches a picture of the serial number with model number and Texas will issue him a title. I have done too many times to count. Very simple and specifically for this situation.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Swordfish

Easy enough, all I need to bring are my trailer and boat titles, and registration for both? Or is registration required to complete the sale being that he won't be able to transfer each?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Easy enough, all I need to bring are my trailer and boat titles, and registration for both? Or is registration required to complete the sale being that he won't be able to transfer each?

Yes, bring old registration, and he has to keep a copy of the paperwork he sends in. In Louisiana the yellow carbon copy for the transfer of registration you send in is good for 90 days, so they can begin using the boat, and not have to wait for the new one to come in, they just have to keep the copy on the boat.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Correct. He will need your trailer title and your boat registration. If you want to be really nice to him since it sounds like he is nervous and not sure about the whole process - tell him he needs to bring forms (2 copies of each - 1 for motor and 1 for boat) PWD 143 and PWD 504. You, the buyer needs to sign all of them. He can print the forms from TPWD website. Here is link to the forms

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/forms/