SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Redfish

Cash: 848
FlagUS Jetties or Beach Breakers?

Can any of you guys tell me which would be the better location for surf fishing early tomorrow morning? I've had a lot of luck this time of year on the east side of the jetties but would the rocks west of Holly Beach yield a better box of fish? Thanks in advance y'all. And Happy 4th everyone!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,573

I don't think it matters right now! Clean water and fish are in the area!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Redfish

Thank you sir! I'll be fishing in the surf just east of the jetties.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,519

If the water stays good, you'll do great!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Redfish

Thanks Paul! I'll post when I get back.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,071

How do you get to east side of jetties
Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankscke123 View Post
How do you get to east side of jetties
When you get into Cameron take a left on Davis or jetty road. The road is right past the big school board building. Go all the way down to the dead end and you're on the east side of the jetties
Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Flounder

Cash: 707

Is there a boat landing there?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
Yup on the right
Old 07-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Flounder

Thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Assuming you mean down in the Cameron area!!!!

There are 2 boat launches. One is on the east side of the ship channel and one on the west side.

East side...... When you get into Cameron turn south on Davis or jetty road. The road is right past the big school board building. Go down past all the oil field yards and there is a boat launch on the right. Be careful of any seawead on the ramp.....it can cause trouble with your tires slipping. And......watch for any big crew boats, they can put up big wakes.

West side......the launch in on the north side of the ferry landing on Hwy 82.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Flounder

Thanks, and especially for that seaweed warning. One of my nightmares is to have my boat drag the vehicle into the water!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Redfish

Here's my rundown from yesterday: Got to the Jetty Park just before sunrise. I was in the water as the sun was coming up. The water was not quite as clean as I hoped for, being that clumps of seaweed was just here and there; but still much better than usual as far as the clarity goes. The wind was still blowing around 5-10 from the NE so that was good. The water was very salty and I thought it was more than enough for specks to be there. No boats at all by the jetties so I had my doubts. I first tried a white rattle-trap that look very much like a pogey. I went out to the second sand bar for around an hour or so: not even a bite. I switched to an LSU (purple/chartreuse) plastic cocahoe; again no bites. There was absolutely no sign of specks as I usually look for pogey schools with the familiar sounds and sights of them jumping out above the surface. I was pretty disappointed at that point and decided to go to the jetties and cast for finger mullet schools swimming alongside the channel side. I caught some and put them in my floating bait bucket. I changed my rig to hang a finger mullet below a popping cork. Went back out to the second sand bar hoping my luck would change. I then caught two small sharks and became even more disappointed. It was then around 10:30 am. I then began seeing the pogey schools and something was slashing them from underneath. I casted my bait for them. I caught two schoolie specks around 15 inches and thought my luck had changed. I put them on my stringer and tried for more but wound up catching another small shark. Disappointment set in again as I tried for a couple of another hour or so. I was getting hot and needed to take a break at that point. I felt a tug on my stringer and lifted them out of the water. The biggest one had been bitten in half as clean as a surgeon's scalpel. That was like salt in an open wound. I headed back in and rested in the shade for a while and decided to canvas the jetty pier anglers. The couple at the far south side of the pier had caught two bull reads. While there, another fisherman caught about a 30 pounder. There were some sharks being caught there too. The couple at the far end of the pier caught two more bull reds and were giving them away to whoever wanted them. I tried on the rocks across from the pier and had one humongous bull red on, but I had rigged with the bullsh*t clamp style leader and the red easily destroyed that and got away. I wound up leaving around 5 pm pretty disgusted with the results of the day but deep down I really enjoyed the trip. Good Luck everyone and I hope this report helps whoever that might want to try the jetties. Kenneth Liner
Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

at least you got to get out there... I was planting grass seed all day then got back and saw all these fishing reports. Now thats salt in the wound...
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Flounder

Hey I know you are disappointed but I have to say thanks for that report. I learn more from that than a full box and no details. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Thanks, and especially for that seaweed warning. One of my nightmares is to have my boat drag the vehicle into the water!
Yeah, a year or two ago, my brother and I had way too much fiddling getting the truck back up the ramp after backing down over the seaweed.

Now, I'm careful to have my boys clear all the seaweed out of the way before backing the trailer down. I also like to get out and have a good look at the ramp as far into the water as I can. For some reason, the ramps at the jetties attract a lot more debris than most other ramps.