SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326
Default Career Options

Hey guys,
I'm just tossing ideas around at the moment not looking to make a big jump just yet.
Currently I work for a career municipal fire department. I knew when I got hired what we made and what the benefits were. Seems like year after year the city council and our department administration keeps taking a dump on us and we have to carry 3 jobs just to make ends meet. In the recent council meeting on next years budget, our Police chief got up there and fought for his guys saying that the pay is not high enough and they can't survive, while the fire chief stated that he was content with the current budget. Take in mind however that the PD starts at over 10k more than a firefighter.
Now no one out there loves this job more than me but I'm tired of being broke and sh** on!
Are there any jobs maybe in the safety end of things that my 9 years in the fire service and being an EMT would qualify me for? I'm not too familiar with what's all out there so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the rant before the question too!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Could go to work for acadian whambulance?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Might be worth checking with the refineries or even the contract companies that work in the refineries. I agree 100% with you. It is a shame what you guys make! It's a slap in the face for him to say he's content!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Redfish

Cash: 809

The answer to your question is yes....however, I come from the same background as you and got out of it. Think long and hard about it. You are down on it right now, but most firefighters I know worked 24/48 shifts and had another little side gig they did to make ends meet. 9 years in full time fire service is nothing to scoff at....times change, people change, depts change, chief's change....You just never know....Things that may not mean much to you today, may mean a whole lot more in the future...such as retirement and benfit packages earned from a municipal retirement. If you are restless or unsure of what you want to do, you have the perfect job to feel out what you want to do. You have all the time in the world to go back to school for something else, prior to leaving what you have, if that is yoru decision. If I had to do it all over again, knowing in another 2 years I could retire if I had stuck with it...makes you think...

I guess what I'm trying to say and go off and do something else that you are making so much money at, that you have to quit for it to make sense. I have several buddies who opened up businesses on the side and things got so busy, they would lose money coming to work....Think long and hard about what is most important to you though....This is not a light decision....Your extended service in a municipal fire service will pay off in another 16 years, to some degree or another. Just my .02
Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

I left the fd myself to go back to school for nurse/nurse anesthesia. I left for the same reasons you are unhappy. It sucks working 6 days a week to make 50k a year. But if u want to stay in the fd then a good route is to get rope rescue training and you get sent out to plants and things to do hole watch making about 18-20 an hour. Roco rescue will tell u everything u need to do. Also if you wouldn't mind goin back to school go get a degree in radiology tech or respiratory therapist. Both are good jobs for part time work that make real good money in the A/C. Especially rad tech. Just my 2 cents on the subject
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

You can always work for OSHA. Just kidding cause then I'll have to hate you!

It really is sickening what y'all are paid. I had seriously considered going professional after about 2 years in the VFD, but the money just wasn't right to me. It's a shame that the pay is keeping out a lot of good guys and driving away some great ones. I haven't fought a fire with you that I recall, but I have sat in your calsses and it's obvious that you have a passion for what you do. I know you have the umpteen VFD's that you are with to scratch that itch we all get for helping out, but will that be enough? Money doesn't always bring happiness. Frank's point on benefits is something to think about as well. Good luck with whatever you choose brother!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 10,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcredeur View Post
Hey guys,
I'm just tossing ideas around at the moment not looking to make a big jump just yet.
Currently I work for a career municipal fire department. I knew when I got hired what we made and what the benefits were. Seems like year after year the city council and our department administration keeps taking a dump on us and we have to carry 3 jobs just to make ends meet. In the recent council meeting on next years budget, our Police chief got up there and fought for his guys saying that the pay is not high enough and they can't survive, while the fire chief stated that he was content with the current budget. Take in mind however that the PD starts at over 10k more than a firefighter.
Now no one out there loves this job more than me but I'm tired of being broke and sh** on!
Are there any jobs maybe in the safety end of things that my 9 years in the fire service and being an EMT would qualify me for? I'm not too familiar with what's all out there so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the rant before the question too!
Man I know just how you feel right now,don't know what dept u work for but my advice is not to act on your emotions right now,think everything through and like another poster said think of retirement,benefits,etc. 9 years is a lot to throw away but I don't know your personal situation.I'm speaking to you from experience as I am an Asst.Fire Chief now that is glad that he made the decision to stay I'm 43 and have 20 years in make a decent salary have freddom is almost eligable to retire and so on.Good luck and PM me if you would like to talk or get together I might beable to help being I went through the same thing.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

most of our safety guys and medics offshore come from the same background
Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

Thanks for the info! Again im not going to make a huge jump just yet but cant hurt to shop around.