SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524
Default Crawfish-boiled or steamed?

I usually boil in seasoned water for 5 minutes, then into ice chest and more seasoning for 15 more minutes. But I know a few people will boil the crawfish then let them soak until done. I've never tried it that way, but curious as to how long do you boil, and how long to soak?
And which way is better?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

I like to boil them super hard in shallow seasoned water for right at 5 mins then let them steam in I've chest.
With crabs, I boil them for about 8-10 mins then dump a bag of ice and let the
soak in the water for another 10 mins. Works out great!!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Boil 3-5 minutes.
Kill fire and cover top with ice.
Let soak for 10 minutes.

Enjoy. The ice makes the crawfish soak up a lot of juice and they always are very juicy.

When I first learned this technique I thoight I had a secret recipe!
Then one day while seasoning I noticed that this are the instructions shown on the seasoning bag!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

I just take a water hose and spay water on outside of pot till it cools down some. This way if your boiling more you do not have to take water out of the pot. I let mine sola about 15 minutes. Just depends how spicy you want them.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 1,005

Yep i always boil 5 to 8 mins depending on size of crawfish then hit with one back of ice per pot and let sit for 15 minutes best wide known secret

another thing we love to do is actually boil whole garlic in with the onions and potatoes believe it or not they actually are VERY good to just eat like an onion
Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 836

I'm HUNGRY now thanks,
Old 03-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Instead of ice bags, I use 2 liter bottles. You can get em down in there easy and you don't dilute the water if you're boiling more.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Thanks for the tips guys. Still perfecting our technique.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

I had never heard of the ice trick. So you guys actually put ice over the crawfish? And is that immediately after shutting the burner down, then soaking for a few minutes? will have to try it. And just how much ice in for example a 60 qt pot?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

While my Dad is killing the fire I am sprinkling enough ice over the crawfish to cover the top. About 1/3 of a bag. Then immediately cover and soak.

This does dilute the water some.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Your just wanting to cool the water down to stop them from cooking more. You will see them sink down as the water and seasoning gets into the crawfish.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:22 AM
Redfish

Cash: 3,000
Default Boiling Technique

I know everyone has their own metod and I never tell another chef how to stir his pot. I got this one from Mr. Richie Campo in Delacroix Island over 30 years ago and it has served me well. Bring your seasoned water to a rolling boil, let water boil for 5 min. Put in your crawfish. At this point your water will stop boiling (due to the temperature of the crawfish & basket). Do not put your lid on your pot now. Watch your water and when your water is just about to come back to a boil (you will get an orange foam on the top) shut off your fire and place the lid on the pot. Check your crawfish periodically, you will see them rise (even to the point where it will lift the top off of your pot an inch or so. Stir them when checking. Then you will see them begin to sink. When all crawfish have sunk, take them out they are ready. This method is very consistent. You do not have to worry about the size of the crawfish, boiling time, no ice etc. This works for crabs as well. They have always come out jucy, easy to peel and cooked right. This works for me and it is very simple. Happy to share. RIP Mr. Richie...
Old 03-31-2014, 07:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
I had never heard of the ice trick. So you guys actually put ice over the crawfish? And is that immediately after shutting the burner down, then soaking for a few minutes? will have to try it. And just how much ice in for example a 60 qt pot?
ice works but I have found that whats on the very top will only pull in the melted fresh water from the ice and not the "seasoned" water from the pot. its not a biggie for the few on top but this is why I switched over to the running water on the sides of the pot method.

another trick that works well, after cooking pull the basket out and lean it to the side at 45* so it sits on the pot without falling back in, then wait 5 minutes for the seafood to cool then drop the basket back in. it works because the whole idea it heat moves from warmest to coolest so by letting the seafood cool down some, when you drop it back in the water it sucks in the water back into the shells and sinks quickly. this method needs no ice or water cooling.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerenemo View Post
I know everyone has their own metod and I never tell another chef how to stir his pot. I got this one from Mr. Richie Campo in Delacroix Island over 30 years ago and it has served me well. Bring your seasoned water to a rolling boil, let water boil for 5 min. Put in your crawfish. At this point your water will stop boiling (due to the temperature of the crawfish & basket). Do not put your lid on your pot now. Watch your water and when your water is just about to come back to a boil (you will get an orange foam on the top) shut off your fire and place the lid on the pot. Check your crawfish periodically, you will see them rise (even to the point where it will lift the top off of your pot an inch or so. Stir them when checking. Then you will see them begin to sink. When all crawfish have sunk, take them out they are ready. This method is very consistent. You do not have to worry about the size of the crawfish, boiling time, no ice etc. This works for crabs as well. They have always come out jucy, easy to peel and cooked right. This works for me and it is very simple. Happy to share. RIP Mr. Richie...

That's what I do.