SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Kids are cheap, wanting and doing more for them is expensive!

Totally agree with this statement.

You might want to save your money though, I guardurated from ND two!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Haha!! Back to the drawing board
Old 09-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Kids are cheap, wanting and doing more for them is expensive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
This is a great post
Very great. You should always want a better life for your kids than the life you have.
Very well said Goooh.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
im never having kids... they are to expensive.
If you ever have one you will wonder how you ever made this statement.
Yeah they make you want to bang your head on the wall sometimes but it's the rest of the time that you will live for. Laugh, cry, or be pissed it's one hell of a journey and at the end you will wish you could walk it all over again.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

Think my two girls cost me about $850 / month at OC, 2nd Grade and Pre K
Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Yep.

$2.5mil in tuition revenues, $1.5mil just in salaries if the 33 teachers average $50k. Not much left for the rest of the faculty, maintenance and repairs, insurance, electric, water, waste and whatever else is involved.

I don't see it being a hugely lucrative operation.
Unfortunately I don't think the teachers are paid that much. But your point still stands none the less. Catholic schools aren't big profit centers. My daughter goes to Carencro Catholic. $425 per month plus fees plus aftercare cost plus fundraisers every time you turn around plus I'm spending $320 a month on a private tutor that works with her twice a week. This explains why I fish out of a 13 year old Carolina Skiff.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

St Edmund was $440/month, my wife made about 24k with 20+ yrs experience
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

I have one going to ESA in Cade. It was hard to stroke the check but the way I see it is that I am paying for college early!

I am a firm believer of the public system.....because I think there is an education there you can not teach, but after a year of bullying at Paul Breaux in the gifted program....it was all I could take.

The public teachers have ZERO authority to do ANYTHING!!!!!! They system hides behind the lawyers and "SUE HAPPY" parents that think their kids are perfect after they cuss out a teacher and punch them!

Sorry for the rant...a little off base. Very pleased with ESA

RC
Old 09-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

If you think that it is expensive for private school per student.
Get the break down of what public school cost per student.

$12,608 per public school student http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66

Privatize all the schools and save tax money!! Never happen but what a dream.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Redfish

Cash: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
If you think that it is expensive for private school per student.
Get the break down of what public school cost per student.

$12,608 per public school student http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66

Privatize all the schools and save tax money!! Never happen but what a dream.

Sounds great to me. BUT that means no one would be paying for the democrats to go to school. AND that would me the government would lose some control. These two things will never happen if its left up to the government.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I was just the opposite.

We switched from Private to Public because my son wasn't doing very well in English and they nickel and dimed for you everything you was worth. We switched him to public and the C's are now A's in English. His teacher last year put him in a class with some one on one tutoring and it worked out for him. We just didn’t think our kids were the education that we were paying for. ($3,800 yr)

My son was acting up in class especially after recess, well math was after recess and that was/is his strongest subject. After the switch to public they challenged him in math and he hasn't had any behavior reports all of last year and this year so far. After he's done the 5th grade lesson he moves onto his more challenging stuff. He’s doing 3rd 9 week’s 6th grade math right now. That's why he was being bad in class, he was bored to death.

Kids get bullied in school both whether public are private, they just go about it in a different way. It’s more of who has the most money type of thing.

As far as discipline in the public school I think it’s better, they really don’t play and if you act up you get sent to the PASS program which is in an in school suspension. Private school your discipline depends on how much money your parents give the school.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

I will keep them in the public system if we are zoned for a good one.

Iota would be great if we can move around there, but I'm set on either staying in Broussard or living south of Crowley - Crowley high isn't exactly my idea of a good public school.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I was just the opposite.

We switched from Private to Public because my son wasn't doing very well in English and they nickel and dimed for you everything you was worth. We switched him to public and the C's are now A's in English. His teacher last year put him in a class with some one on one tutoring and it worked out for him. We just didn’t think our kids were the education that we were paying for. ($3,800 yr)

My son was acting up in class especially after recess, well math was after recess and that was/is his strongest subject. After the switch to public they challenged him in math and he hasn't had any behavior reports all of last year and this year so far. After he's done the 5th grade lesson he moves onto his more challenging stuff. He’s doing 3rd 9 week’s 6th grade math right now. That's why he was being bad in class, he was bored to death.

Kids get bullied in school both whether public are private, they just go about it in a different way. It’s more of who has the most money type of thing.

As far as discipline in the public school I think it’s better, they really don’t play and if you act up you get sent to the PASS program which is in an in school suspension. Private school your discipline depends on how much money your parents give the school.
I understand they do have more specialized programs in the public school we are dealing with some issues with our youngest child but we are working with them through some programs at Nicholls.

My point being that 12k a student we aren't getting what we should from the system. Poor management, waste, and politics but that's every gov program/project.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
I understand they do have more specialized programs in the public school we are dealing with some issues with our youngest child but we are working with them through some programs at Nicholls.

My point being that 12k a student we aren't getting what we should from the system. Poor management, waste, and politics but that's every gov program/project.

I agree.. I wish we closer to Thibodaux and I could send my kids to BCA.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Its hard to get into BCA we looked at it but felt there was no way to get both of our children in the charter.

Im just worried about Thibodaux High. Im still on the fence with ED white 6k+.
I think I would rather deal with "rich people problems" than some of the influence and issues that I are more common at Thib High. None are perfect they both have lots of problems and as parents we can only do so much.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Catholic school teachers are paid about 80% of the public school teacher average. The new teachers at public schools make around 30K and those with more time get paid more. This is a general rule.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Its hard to get into BCA we looked at it but felt there was no way to get both of our children in the charter.

Im just worried about Thibodaux High. Im still on the fence with ED white 6k+.
I think I would rather deal with "rich people problems" than some of the influence and issues that I are more common at Thib High. None are perfect they both have lots of problems and as parents we can only do so much.
My son had a kid on his baseball team get called on a Tuesday AM in the middle of the year to see if he was still interested in attending BCA. His dad said yes. The Principal said okay, he starts tomorrow or we moving to the next person on the list and he goes back to the end. He had to leave work go to school, get everything transferred that afternoon and he started on the Wed. That's a lot for a 2nd grader.

I have a cousin that graduated from EDW last year...... she's going to Fletcher now and her parents are paying. (I'm not sure for what)

My co-workers son graduated from Thibodaux High last year...... he's on a full ride to ULL and is actually making money with all of the scholorships he's getting.

My point, it's all in the student.